This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Finger placement in HBP/PE3 and sPL/PE5+6

Started by Helgi, January 27, 2015 · 7 Replies · 169 Views

Helgi

During my last cycle, I "finished" the F1 HBP and sPL progressions. However, as I still have some cycles left to finish the remaining ones, I want to work on F1 HBP and sPL stuff still.

 

One idea I had is that I could go back to PPPUs and Planche Leans and focus on pointing my fingers forward rather than to the side (my fingers usually point somewhere between 90° and 45° from forward).

 

I know that the instructions are to simply place the fingers such that there's no extra strain on the wrists. However, I was wondering whether working on fingers forward (and toning back the lean obviously) would help strengthening the wrists and allow me to eventually do these exercises to mastery with fingers forward? It's basically just a personal preference, but I would really like to do them fingers forward.

 

Anyone see any problems with this? I'd basically go back to those elements and just cycle them again until I can master them with fingers forward.

Nicholas Cooper

Why don't you move onto F2 on those skills?

Helgi

I don't have F2 and won't be able to buy it for some months still.

Jeremy Huston

I think you would gain more by trying to increase your lean rather than adjust hand placement.

 

For HBP, put your legs in a straddle and try to get your hands far enough back (lean) that you can lift your legs off the floor in the bottom position.

 

For sPL, increase the lean for the PE's and try doing the IM's from an elbow lever instead of on a bench.  http://www.beastskills.com/elbow-lever/

Joshua Slocum

Yeah no reason you can't re-master them with fingers forward. Just pay attention to your wrists and fingers: never train through joint pain! 

Vincearoo

I would definitely recommend not trying to lean so far forward your feet come off the ground at this point. I did that a couple years ago and had a nice sore elbow for a while. That's just me though.

Bro'
Vincearoo said:

I would definitely recommend not trying to lean so far forward your feet come off the ground at this point. I did that a couple years ago and had a nice sore elbow for a while. That's just me though.

 

I agree. This exercise actually is in Foundation but way down the road, I wouldn't start working on it at this point.

 

So follow Josh's recommendation: go for it, but no pain! You could also try to increase the volume on various progressions if you're going to be stuck with these for a long time. I don't think longer planche leans, HBH or ABH would hurt. ;)

Helgi

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll stick to the plan and rotate my fingers inward a few degrees until I reach forward.