This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder imbalance and Incline Row - RC/PE2

Started by Charles Wright, January 23, 2015 · 3 Replies · 159 Views

Charles Wright

I developed a shoulder imbalance that I would like to correct, where my left shoulder is noticeably lower than my right.  It is not scoliosis.  The results of this imbalance are very noticeable when doing RC/PE2;  visually, my left pec appears larger during the upper part of the row, unless I really concentrate on pulling with my right arm and less with my left, which just "feels" wrong.  It feels like I'm not fully contracting my left arm.  Other info:  I had an AC Joint injury in the left shoulder (occurred during a too heavy, poor form power clean attempt about 2 years ago), and I think I may have initially developed or at least exacerbated this problem by doing heavy deadlifts with a mixed grip and not switching up inside/outside hands enough.

 

So:

 

1. Any cues to stay in balance for RC/PE2?

2. Continue to progress RC/PE2 where I fully contract both sides or do it where I look balanced?

3. Any other exercises I can add in to help fix this?

4. Is it likely that it will self correct as I progress through the F/H programs?

5. Any other general info that could help?

 

Thanks in advance.

Krel

- Hanging exercises are highly recommended to correct shoulder imbalance
- The weakest side is always the one which should lead the exercise

- Foundation and Handstand Series will help you to correct your strength and mobility deficiencies

Sensei JP

I have a friend who is learning aerial silk skills.  His teacher told him to start pulling more with his oneside, even though he does not have such an obvious imbalance as you do.  The reason, he says, is this: everyone has a stronger side.  You may think you are pulling or workout out equally, but likely you are working in your comfort zone, and in that zone your right is stronger and doing more than your left (assuming right-handedness).  When you start pulling/doing more with your left side, it will feel odd, asymmetric, but in reality it's much closer to true symmetry as you are correcting the body's natural imbalance.

 

My friend says that in his two months of doing this, applying a bit more pressure with his left side during movements like pullups, his strength and technique gains have massively increased, by far his best two-month increase in the last year.  It's something to think about.

Charles Wright

Thank you both - I'll increase my weekly active and passive hanging, and make sure that I pull so that I am symmetrical.

 

Follow up:

 

1.Would a unilateral exercises help?

2. What about shrugs?  Could those help strengthen/raise the lower side?