This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE5>iM - Vertical pike walk. Standing up?

Started by Helgi, January 22, 2015 · 3 Replies · 150 Views

Helgi

I noticed in the demonstration video that as the athlete goes higher up and brings his feet and hands closer, he does not pull up as high as he does for the lower rungs.

 

For example, on the first step down he brings his hips up to about where his feet are and then moves his feet while in the previous steps (on the way up), he'd bring his hips almost all the way up to completely standing.

 

What should we be aiming for here?

 

I was doing this exercise for the first time and actually standing up like that on the two final rungs. If I don't pull up as high, I can still move my feet and get into the stretch with my arms and legs straight.

RJS

i can get this going, when i add input ppl will be all over this correcting what i said. here we go...

 

 

 ya i would stand up every time, fully pulling yourself up and out. You will get a deeper stretch by pulling up, stepping, then lowering into position. like a forced pulling protraction thing goin on

Murray Truelove

I think the bottom position is the most important, how high you stand up in between probably doesn't matter much.

Helgi
RJS said:

i can get this going, when i add input ppl will be all over this correcting what i said. here we go...

 

 

 ya i would stand up every time, fully pulling yourself up and out. You will get a deeper stretch by pulling up, stepping, then lowering into position. like a forced pulling protraction thing goin on

This is how I understood the exercise first, but then I had a lot of trouble standing up after the last step up (before going down), so I had a look at the video again and noticed that's not what happens there. He doesn't go fully up before taking the first step down.

 

Murray Truelove said:

I think the bottom position is the most important, how high you stand up in between probably doesn't matter much.

So I started thinking about it, and came to this conclusion, this iM element is for the stretch and the next element is for the strength. There, they even do it with two rungs between the hands and feet.