This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand with back towards the wall / Bailing

Started by yoflow, January 20, 2015 · 8 Replies · 274 Views

yoflow

Hey,

 

I was just wondering why kicking up in to a handstand occurs in SE4 for the first time? Until then, it's only handstands with face to the wall. I suppose because the body is easier to align correctly when exercising with face towards the wall?

 

But how do I get in the position for SE1, then? The video doesn't show that...

 

Then, what about bailing/tipping over? It's not even mentioned somewhere, but while getting closer and closer to the wall with my hands in the progressions, I'm pretty sure it will happen sooner or later during the training.

 

Regards

Flo

Coach Sommer

- First we build the physical structure (mobility, alignment, strength) and THEN we ask you to learn how to use it.

- Correct. Achieving a nice bodyline is easier for beginners when their abs are to the wall.

- Bailing is not nearly as difficult as you are imagining. A little practice should resolve everything quite nicely.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

yoflow
Coach Sommer said:

- Bailing is not nearly as difficult as you are imagining. A little practice should resolve everything quite nicely.

 

Coach Sommer, thanks for your reply. I am over 40, not a teenager. What do I do when I tipp over from a handstand with the face towards the wall?

Coach Sommer

Whether or not you are a teenager is inconsequential.  

 

IF you have successfully completed all of the prior HS course requirements prior to SE4, then you should already be quite comfortable entering and exiting handstands.  If you are not, I would suspect that corners have been cut, or you jumped into the progressions mid-stream.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Wolf with one Ear

There many people here who are following the program who are over 40, including myself.  My own experience learning handstands is probably the same as someone who is younger.  The more time I spend on my hands, the more comfortable I am, and the better able I am to sense where my body is and where it is about to go.  If I feel that I am about to lose position with my belly to the wall, I usually end up "stepping out" with my hand and cartwheeling to the side.  If I feel a full on drop of my feet away from the wall, I can just arch and land in a bridge.  This is not difficult for me, but I do not think everyone has the mobility do this.  As such, bending the arms, tucking the head, and rolling out is a good option.  A shoulder roll to the side can also work.  

 

There may some posts on the forum in this regard.  Also, you can look up Parkour rolls or ukemi (Japanese for breakfall) for some ideas.  Ukemi is a great skill, no matter from where or what position you are falling.  That way, you can practice will little or no fear of falling.  You may actually enjoy it. 

yoflow

Thanks a lot, Wolf with one Ear.

 

I must admit I am slightly irritated my above post has been edited without any notifciation or even making the edit visible.

 

May I ask for the reason? By the way, the edited part was "Coach Sommer" (I had written "Christopher")...

Matt JC
yoflow said:

May I ask for the reason? By the way, the edited part was "Coach Sommer" (I had written "Christopher")..

 

They probably do not consider it to be professional.  I certainly would not.  I came from the military though where that was certainly now allowed between correspondence.  As a tumbling coach I also do not allow any of my students to refer to me by my first name nor their parents.  "Coach Sommer" is also the avatar name.  I'm sure it is nothing against you.  The moderators probably just want to keep it professional and courteous on the forums.

 

-Matt

yoflow

Maybe it's a "cutural difference"? I'm in Germany and in any case I can think of a coach in sports is addressed by his first name by his trainees.

 

However, instead of editing my post a short note on how the desired form of address is would have been appreciated.

 

Regards

Flo

Shoes Magoo

Flo, I think you are correct in that it is a cultural difference. In the U.S. I've never known any athlete or trainee to address their coach by first name in anything but the most informal of situations, and even then it usually still carries over just out of habit. It isn't out of the realm of possibility for a coach and trainee who are both adults to be on a first name basis, but in the coaching environment the trainee would still address the coach as, well, 'Coach' :)