This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

L pull ups

Started by killroy70, January 19, 2015 · 5 Replies · 217 Views

killroy70

I recently mastered L chin ups and have since moved on to RC/PE10 (L pull ups). The difference to me in the initial pull from a full dead hang between the two seems really substantial. I'm having some problems maintaining legs 90 degrees during the very initial pull, they tend to drop just a bit, something that wasn't really an issue with L chin ups. Like probably many here, I am capable of repping out a lot of reps with slightly bent arms at the hang position. Obviously that's not the movement as I'm well aware that in order for mastery to be achieved all reps need to begin from a dead hang.

Are there any cues, pointers, or things to focus on during that initial pull? Should I perhaps work up to mastery with tuck L pull ups and then move on to full L?

Any help would be appreciated.

MT Nordic

I agree with you the difference is substantial.  My key to focus on for these is to really focus on initiating the move with the scaps and then transitioning to the elbows pulling down.  the same cues will serve you well when you get into the bulgarian L-sit pullups as well.  with a normal pull up you can lean back a hair and get more lat involvement and the L-sit takes that advantage away from you.  It's all scaps.  it really was surprising to me at the time and it took me a couple months to master.  i'd recommend going slowly on these, because if you haven't been doing it the right way you will get a lot of strain in your brachialis and may be prone to tendonitis.  slow steady progression, don't move on until the reps you're working on are easy.  good luck!

killroy70

Thanks for the reply, this is some good info. It's all about the initial pull, next workout I'll really focus on pulling with the scapula. I suppose if it initially proves to challenging I'll try it with a tuck L.

Joshua Slocum

Tuck L is a good idea if you're having trouble doing the full L. 

Gillham

2 things helped me a great deal on these. First and what help the most was gripping the bar deeper in my palm in an almost false grip fashion, getting as much of my hand on top of the bar as possible.  Second was going from a narrower grip and working my hands out little by little over a few months.  Good luck.

killroy70

I'll give that grip tip a try, though I'm thinking that I should at least be able to perform 5x5 with a tuck L as when playing around with those, I can accomplish that initial pull without any "swing" or momentum and REALLY feel the scapula working to initiate the lift.