This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

arch body hold problems

Started by Lorenzo Ferro, January 19, 2015 · 7 Replies · 302 Views

Lorenzo Ferro

I have serious problem to raise arms straight near head, so i think i can do, just before do F7, a little session (5 min) of stretching : an arch stretch on swiss ball like this picture (http://media2.popsugar-assets.com/files/ed4/2009/12/53/192/1922729/1f9da43fe62c7a4c_spinal-stretch-on-ball.jpg) with a 10kg rocker in hands, then I do Bent hollowbody hold, finally Arch body hold... what do you think ? It's better i do arch before hollow or hollow before stretch or it's ok in this way ?

 

I' m started now... this week is the 3x40% for all F7 pe1

 

thanks for support !!

jules

I dont think the order of  bHBH or ABH makes a difference. 

You need to improve your Thoracic extension. 

Try stretching out your Pecs and Lats first, then using a foam roller to mobilize the Thoracic Spine.

 After this, you should find it easier to lift the arms up over head (and arch the upper back)

 

If English isn't your first language and you have trouble understanding, let me know and I'll try to find some videos 

to make it clearer :)

Lorenzo Ferro

thanks jules... you're right english is not my first language but all you told me is clear... I'm italian and i speak only a scolastic english...   next wednesday i'll try the exercise you've purposed...  

Jeremy Huston

Start with the swiss ball and foam rolling, and as your ROM begins to open up, you'll quickly need something more intense.

 

I do a stretch similar to this one.

 

TSpineExtension-e1358565308702.jpg

 

But instead of a foam roller, I go crossways on a weight bench (gets everything up higher).  I rest my head and upper back on the bench, positioning my stiffest vertebrae on the edge.  Then use the weight and my hips to focus some force to loosen things up -- you can rock side to side, up and down, straighten arms, bend arms, do reps, etc.

 

I learned this exercise as part of Kit's Master the Backbend series: http://kitlaughlin.com/forums/index.php?/topic/616-master-the-full-back-bend-and-arch-body-hold-live-today/

Nicholas Cooper

This is totally off topic , but what do people mean when they say F7? I only know of the foundation courses to F4 

 

Thanks.

dritar

F7 is a schedule where you do all Foundation exercises in one, two or three sessions per week, instead of the usual split. It's one of the ways to combine with H1, where you F7 and H1 exercises in separate days.

 

The  couple first iMs in H1 help with ABH as well.

dynamo

I think it is also important to stretch properly.  If one over-stretches, the body will try to compensate for this and make things even tighter than before.

 

Speaking of stretching I'm waiting for Coaches new stretching series to come out.  Anyone know when that might be?