This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deltoid pain

Started by Duff, January 16, 2015 · 10 Replies · 208 Views

Duff

I recently started playing around with handstands, inspired by the Handstand challenge. I'm on PE5, getting my dislocates close in. 

 

I noticed that my left shoulder doesn't seem to work properly when doing overhead movements, especially barbell pressing/handstand pushups. The closer I go with my hands,  the more I can feel pain in my medial deltoid. I have no problems when pressing wide. Also, there I no pain when I am in a full handstand and elevating my shoulders. No pain with dislocates either, and I'm somewhere in between wide and close regarding width.

 

Anyone got some advice for me?

 

 

 

 

Keilani Gutierrez

i sometimes get pains from fatigue setting in and shoulders internally rotating for too long, i know now when to terminate sets before they get to that point. i also terminate my dislocates at the width that sounds occur, i only work a width i can consistently get the movement, some days its narrower than others but thats what i shoot for to not upset my shoulder joint.

thats about all i can share from personal experience.

Alessandro Mainente

Deltoid pain referred to front part of external part is related to rotator cuff problem. I hope you are doing well your work on foundation in order to improve you upper arm stabilization with external rotator work. i would like to see a photo of your handstand from the back.

Duff
alex87 said:

Deltoid pain referred to front part of external part is related to rotator cuff problem. I hope you are doing well your work on foundation in order to improve you upper arm stabilization with external rotator work. i would like to see a photo of your handstand from the back.

Here's a video:

 

 

I'm not sure which Foundation elements are you referring to, could you specify?

Alessandro Mainente

hollowbackpress. 

when you talk about pain, you are referring to left deltoid?

Duff
alex87 said:

hollowbackpress. 

when you talk about pain, you are referring to left deltoid?

Any particular elements? I'm on HBP PE5. (I have the whole series btw)

 

Yes, left medial deltoid, and only in overhead pressing when my arms are bent - the problem seems to be from around 90 to ~170 degrees of flexion. Pushups, dips, handstands and iMs, wide ovehead press, ovehead squats, jerks cause no problems.

 

I do think that HS PE4 is helping with this and I'm planning to increase the weight. I can feel it in my left deltoid especially.

Alessandro Mainente

Exactly what I was thinking . I can easily see the difference between your shoulders. the left one is far more tight. you nee d to do dedicated stretching for internal rotation of the left arm. the problem is due limited range of motion that could be the cause of the impingement.

Duff
alex87 said:

Exactly what I was thinking . I can easily see the difference between your shoulders. the left one is far more tight. you nee d to do dedicated stretching for internal rotation of the left arm. the problem is due limited range of motion that could be the cause of the impingement.

Thanks! I stretched my shoulder and bringing my arms overhead was much easier already. I'll keep doing it.

RJS

any specific examples for these shoulder stretches?

Alessandro Mainente

yes, foundations IM's of RC and HBP. active shoulders stabilization on HBP.

RJS

i have been so focused on pe 8 and 9 i forget how valuable the beginning is.  Thanks Alex and Thanks for the question Duff