This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Single leg squat - right knee tracks inwards

Started by Awesssss, January 15, 2015 · 11 Replies · 451 Views

Awesssss

My left knee does not go inwards when doing single leg squat, it's in alignment with my toes. However my right knee goes inward when doing SLS.

Even when standing on my right foot alone, my whole body turns inwards. When standing on my left foot, my body is facing forward. This is very strange to me.

Basically, where am I tight and how do I stretch it? :D

jules

Try stretching adductors and strengthening your glutes. Tightness and weakness usually come in pairs. 

Awesssss

Thank you! Any tips for strengthening (my right?) glutes? Or maybe the ones in F1 are excellent?

Jeremy Huston

Where are you at in the SLS sequence?  Consider proper knee tracking to be required for mastery on all the SLS elements, so go back to the beginning and demonstrate mastery with proper knee tracking.

 

I have a similar problem (except it's with my left knee).  I went to PT and was prescribed a handful of exercises like stretching/foam rolling IT band, clamshells for strength, and some coordination drills.  I don't think anything they gave me isn't effectively found in foundation.

 

MN IM sequence has loosened up my IT band.  The SPL IM sequence will definitely help with glute strength.  Twisting squats are also great for glute strength.

 

SLS PE2 and PE3 will stretch the adductors.  The entire SLS sequence (except PE1) will train your glutes to properly engage.  It could also be tight ankles, which are stretched by the entire sequence.  

 

Clamshells:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiqvDV8pzRk

NickM
Paulizdaman said:

My left knee does not go inwards when doing single leg squat, it's in alignment with my toes. However my right knee goes inward when doing SLS.

Even when standing on my right foot alone, my whole body turns inwards. When standing on my left foot, my body is facing forward. This is very strange to me.

Basically, where am I tight and how do I stretch it? :D

Your right knee likely goes inwards because your right gluteus medius muscle is not sufficiently activating to keep your right thigh bone from moving inwards.

 

Try this exercise:

403.png

Put a stretchy exercise band around your ankles. It should have some tension in it with your feet together.

Stand on your left foot and turn your RIGHT foot out 45 degrees.

Then, move your right foot away from you, about halfway between "to the side" and "directly backwards". See the picture.

Repeat until your right glute medius is fatigued.

Repeat on your left.

Repeat on your right again, until fatigued 20/30/40 reps?

Do once per day.

 

Ensure only your hip joint moves: no arching of the back, or bending forward.

 

Now, imagine your right foot is like a tripod, with points at the base of the heel and base of the big toe, and little toe.

Stand on both feet, feeling the floor through your feet. VERY SLOWLY lean to the left, keeping your entire body straight (lean from the ankles): feel the weight on your left foot shifting to heel/little toe, and on your right foot, heel/big toe.

Now lean to the right. You should feel weight through your right foot shift to heel/little toe.

 

Be aware of the weight shift when you single leg squat, and try to press the base of your right little toe into the floor a little.

Awesssss

Thank you, NickM. I tried that exercise today and I noticed that the oppsite glute is being worked when I move my feet. I can still feel it in my glutes/hip abductors even after 10r. definitely adding these to my workouts.

 

(It's not just that my right knee tracks inwards, it basically my whole body twisting inwards!)

Destiny
Jeremy Huston said:

Where are you at in the SLS sequence?  Consider proper knee tracking to be required for mastery on all the SLS elements, so go back to the beginning and demonstrate mastery with proper knee tracking.

 

I have a similar problem (except it's with my left knee).  I went to PT and was prescribed a handful of exercises like stretching/foam rolling IT band, clamshells for strength, and some coordination drills.  I don't think anything they gave me isn't effectively found in foundation.

 

MN IM sequence has loosened up my IT band.  The SPL IM sequence will definitely help with glute strength.  Twisting squats are also great for glute strength.

 

SLS PE2 and PE3 will stretch the adductors.  The entire SLS sequence (except PE1) will train your glutes to properly engage.  It could also be tight ankles, which are stretched by the entire sequence.  

 

Clamshells:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiqvDV8pzRk

I have a the same problem on my right side, did the clamshells help at all?

Awesssss

Update: My whole body does not turn inwards when standing on my right foot. I fixed this by strenghtening my glutes (activating my right glutes) just as recommended. The exercises I used was similiar to the im:s in Straddle Planche. The difference was that I was lying prone on the floor and straddling my legs and then lift them up. The first time I did it, my left glute was calm but my right glute was cramping a lot!

 

Now I've been working on these and I can hold it for many seconds.

 

There is still one problem. At the bottom of a single leg squat on my right foot, my left leg travels inwards. What do I have to strengthen to fix this? :)

Awesssss

I would like to point out that with a raised heel this problems does not occur, my line is then straight and proper. I believe now that my problem is no longer in glutes but in my right ankle.

 

My left ankle is more mobile and my right, so this all makes sense. What I don't understand is why poor mobility in my right ankle would let my left leg go inwards. Perhaps my body is trying to stay on that positino by using the wrong muscles?

Sam Deamer

It's definitely the ankle. Once the ankle hits its limit of dorsi flexion basically the knee will track laterally in order to keep you balanced and the hips descending into the squat. if it stopped at your limit of dorsi flexion but you continued to descend into the squat you would fall backwards. Get the front split course and do the Achilles work

Jon Douglas
Sam Deamer said:

It's definitely the ankle. Once the ankle hits its limit of dorsi flexion basically the knee will track laterally in order to keep you balanced and the hips descending into the squat. if it stopped at your limit of dorsi flexion but you continued to descend into the squat you would fall backwards. Get the front split course and do the Achilles work

This!

Awesssss

Yeah, the raised heel elimnates the problem so the issue is my poor ankle mobility. Am working on it everyday. I will fix it, just like I fixed my weak glutes. :)

 

Will update!