This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/ SE7, I uploaded the video that was requested

Started by falconpawnch, January 13, 2015 · 12 Replies · 704 Views

falconpawnch

Hi, I did the mastery of MN/SE6 with good form and I find myself unable to even extend my legs on SE7, not even one rep, reading around I found that many are aiming not only for knees above hips but also hips at elbow level. I'm thinking of going to week 5 and work on THAT form, maybe I shouldn't, I also would like to know what else I can do to avoid this problem a second time, any accesorie work to asses this problem? I was thinking of doing SE9M earlier to work this, but then again, maybe I shouldn't. Please help, thanks.

 

EDIT: I uploaded a video with PE5/ IM to check into that

Kai Ewert

Is your hip flexor strength (HLRs) and hamstring flexibility (iMs) really up to par? Maybe post some videos of those and your attempts at SE7, that gives people something more concrete to work with...

Alessandro Mainente

Can you post a video of both PE5 and IM5?

J0X

I suspect nearly everybody will get hung up on MN/SE7 because none of the previous progression required any serious active flexibility.

 

I have the same problem. This is the type of stuff that adults have difficulty with...

Kai Ewert

I am confused now, we are talking MN/SE7 (1/2 Straddle L Single Extension), right?

 

For that, a video of MN/PE7 or PE9 would be much more relevant because it will expose weakness in active flexibility/compression. And the iM for PE8 or SE2 for a check on your pike flexibility...

 

Your PE5 looks good but is not really telling for SE7. For MN/PE5-iM, I'd suggest you go down one more rung - the course video suggests it's ok to bend your knees when getting into position at that point, and you'll get a much deeper stretch.

falconpawnch

Hey, thanks for the reply's. That day in the IM I had to move one of the tougher rungs to do the final step and I didn't, I can do it tho.

I will upload anything that's requested, I will upload the PE9/IM if thats needed to check for problems. Meanwhile I went back to week 5 focusing on hips and knees at elbow level and been doing the seated straddle lift aside from the IM.

Joshua Slocum
J0X said:

I suspect nearly everybody will get hung up on MN/SE7 because none of the previous progression required any serious active flexibility.

 

I have the same problem. This is the type of stuff that adults have difficulty with...

Yeah, ideally SE 9>iM and 10>iM would come earlier. Though SE1>im and 2>iM should help. 

Romain

If you find a solution on how to progress from MN/SE6 to MN/SE7 please let me know.

 

I have the same issue. I have almost mastered MN/SE6 (with knees above the elbows) and when I tried MN/SE7 out of curiosity I couldn't extend my legs at all. I got major cramps.

Joshua Slocum

I'm currently working on SE6, and I also can't do any reps of SE7 with proper ROM.

 

What I'm doing is swapping out MN/SE6>iM for a different exercise. [i have a perfect pancake already, so I don't get a whole lot of out the iM anyways.] The exercise goes like this:

 

- I begin in a seated straddle, with my hands on the floor as if I were going to do SE9>iM. Then I bend my knees slightly and lift my feet off of the floor. Next, I straighten one knee until it is locked out, then bend it again and straighten the other one. It's sort of like MN/SE7 with your butt on the floor. It cramps my quads something fierce, whereas SE6 doesn't even really touch them. I do 5 reps on either side as a substitute iM 

 

This should help develop more active flexibility in my quads, which seems to be the weak link in my SE7. My thought/hope is that by the time I finish SE6 I'll have developed enough ROM to do SE7. 

falconpawnch

Just saw the post above, great idea! I now went back to PE1 and even there I found that my hip flexors lack strenght so I will work from there and re-test when I arrive SE7, thank you very much.

Sisyphus
Joshua Slocum said:

I'm currently working on SE6, and I also can't do any reps of SE7 with proper ROM.

 

What I'm doing is swapping out MN/SE6>iM for a different exercise. [i have a perfect pancake already, so I don't get a whole lot of out the iM anyways.] The exercise goes like this:

 

- I begin in a seated straddle, with my hands on the floor as if I were going to do SE9>iM. Then I bend my knees slightly and lift my feet off of the floor. Next, I straighten one knee until it is locked out, then bend it again and straighten the other one. It's sort of like MN/SE7 with your butt on the floor. It cramps my quads something fierce, whereas SE6 doesn't even really touch them. I do 5 reps on either side as a substitute iM 

 

This should help develop more active flexibility in my quads, which seems to be the weak link in my SE7. My thought/hope is that by the time I finish SE6 I'll have developed enough ROM to do SE7. 

 

Joshua, any chance of an update on whether this did the trick? I'm just finishing up SE6 again but with knees above elbows and need a new approach.

Coach Sommer

Easy solution.  Simply make sure that the Middle Split and Front Split stretch series are included in your training.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer