Mobility

Started by Daytonwhat, January 13, 2015 · 8 Replies · 2,500 Views

Daytonwhat

Is there a mobility foundations?  I have foundation one and I am about 2 months in on week one.   

Joshua Slocum

Foundation *is* the mobility foundation. Half the work is mobility. What more are you looking for?

Daytonwhat

my ankles are tight and I can't get low enough for the deck squat 

Jon Douglas

General advice is to do standing squats to loosen up if deck squats are still a little out of your reach. It may also be a technique issue preventing you from getting your feet underneath you; feel free to post a form check video in the F1 forum :)

Daytonwhat

When I squat down my heals are about 3.5 inches from the ground.  From what I read is to do a deck squat a person hamstring needs to touch their calves, mine don't.

MT Nordic

I found that spending a lot of time in a resting squat was helpful for ankle ROM.  If you can't hold it at all, squat in front of your stall bars or something else to hold on to and try to accumulate at least 10 minutes of squatting a day.  The ankles will come around if you give them a chance. Don't squat with heels off the floor.  it gives high sheer pressures across the patella and isn't helping you at all.

FritsMB

It may very well be that your general flexibility is not any longer what it used to be when you were younger (say 8 years old). That seems to be the experience of most Foundation practitioners. The mobility elements of the Foundation course (and strength elements that require more than “average” mobility like deck squats) then become more of an obstacle to progress than otherwise (??) necessary. Quite a few people on this board have decided that focused stretching (as a supplement to the Foundation courses) is in order. If you search, you will find quite a few other people with deck squat problems and discussions of what they did to overcome those problems. Most likely, your calves, quads and hamstrings are all too tight for deck squats (and quite a few other Foundation elements) and could benefit from a good stretching program (spending 5 to 10 min’s a day squatting down is part of that, but not enough). Good luck and be patient, it is all worth the time you spend on it.

JonasPortugal

Do the deck squats on a small elevation.

 

I do them on a carpet. That small bit is enough to do the deck squats. I have unproportionally long legs compared to the torso, so I don't consider it cheating for me.

Piatsch
JonasPortugal said:

Do the deck squats on a small elevation.

 

I do them on a carpet. That small bit is enough to do the deck squats. I have unproportionally long legs compared to the torso, so I don't consider it cheating for me.

well it still is, since i have the same issue and can squat comfortably ;).

reach to become ur best possible self and dont limit urself like that.