Whenever i do back lever's as part of my workout (I'm not a Gymnast just a calisthenics bodybuilder) my chest and ribs hurt, not very painfully but enough to cause bother. it's a sort of tight feeling and it goes away a few minutes after i stop the back lever. This pain doesnt seem to be a problem for my other exercises and i stretch my chest well before i begin, was wondering if anyone could shed somelight on what this could be since i think it's a mobility problem. thanks
Chest Pain, Back Lever
Started by Miguel R Schmidt, January 12, 2015 · 1 Replies · 2,733 Views
This can be tightness of the chest muscles but really it probably means you are working on a progression harder than you should be. There may be a few progressions that you have skipped prior to your back lever training.
I've dealt with the same thing and it was addressed by scaling back the back lever progression and working on straight arm support with RTO for longer holds and more volume. This happened after I injured my chest somehow with dips so I had to basically scale way back to the point of ring planks and PB support/shrugs and assisted ring support work, ring support work before ring dips were able to be done without said pain (PB dips had to be eased back as well besides shrugs in plank and regular floor pushups or ring pushups).