This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE2>iM form check + questions

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, January 12, 2015 · 6 Replies · 154 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

I started to work on static shoulders extensions. The bar I use weights 2.5 kg. I guess my form is not good. So I want to clarify some stuffs.

1. Is my goal to pull my hands at shoulder height on order to consider it mastered?

2. What about my scapula? Should I keep them protracted or retracted? Elevated or depressed?

3. What about my form shown in the video? Is my torso properly straight?

Thank you!

VID_21650811_063411.mp4

BenHack

Hi Mauler. I'm no where near mastering these so hopefully someone else chimes in soon.

For starters your hands should be facing down for this move, rather than up. You also need to keep your torso more upright and your head neutral. Essentially you're using posterior delts, traps and rhomboids (I think) to lift the weight so shoulder blades should be retracted.

Cheers.

Ben

Alessandro Di Sanzo
BenHack said:

Hi Mauler. I'm no where near mastering these so hopefully someone else chimes in soon.

For starters your hands should be facing down for this move, rather than up. You also need to keep your torso more upright and your head neutral. Essentially you're using posterior delts, traps and rhomboids (I think) to lift the weight so shoulder blades should be retracted.

Cheers.

Ben

Gosh, you're right! Hands facing down! This way I find it even more difficult! I have a huge path to cross, I don't think I can reach the form shown in the video demonstration in 3 months!

By your opinion, could I work on HS/PE3 , forearm headstand, basing that I have already mastered headstand? There's the risk I will practice the same exercise already mastered for too much time, because of lack of mobility!

BenHack

Hi Mauler. This is the way the course is designed. You don't move on to the next PE until you have demonstrated mastery for both PE and iM. This way you allow your mobility to 'catch up' and then progress along with your strength.

I myself have been working on the headstand and this iM for about 6 months and don't expect mastery for at least another 6. For what it's worth I've continued to improve and refine my headstand well after the point of achieving mastery.

Cheers

Ben

Alessandro Di Sanzo
BenHack said:

Hi Mauler. This is the way the course is designed. You don't move on to the next PE until you have demonstrated mastery for both PE and iM. This way you allow your mobility to 'catch up' and then progress along with your strength.

I myself have been working on the headstand and this iM for about 6 months and don't expect mastery for at least another 6. For what it's worth I've continued to improve and refine my headstand well after the point of achieving mastery.

Cheers

Ben

OK I got it! Then I'll keep patience! [emoji6] thanks for your reply BenHack!
BenHack

No worries Mauler