Hi!
This is how I perform v-ups.
How about my form? Maybe I have to focus on keep my legs as straight as I can at each rep! Any thing else? Thank you!
VID_21260515_233815.mp4
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, January 12, 2015 · 13 Replies · 267 Views
Hi!
This is how I perform v-ups.
How about my form? Maybe I have to focus on keep my legs as straight as I can at each rep! Any thing else? Thank you!
VID_21260515_233815.mp4
I would say you need more compression (hip flexion).
To me compression doesn't look that bad honestly for PE3.
Can you do it with straight legs?
I realized that in the first reps of step 1 my legs are a bit bent, but then I can straighten them! Maybe I need more specificif warm up. I perform 15 reps of tuck ups and 9 of straddle ups , plus 5 reps of windmill stiff and Jefferson curl.emilianop said:To me compression doesn't look that bad honestly for PE3.
Can you do it with straight legs?
I have to agree with the lack of compression, to me it looks like you're achieving all your ROM from rounding your back. From the previous IM you should have the necessary passive flexibility to get into a good pike.
Try a standing toe touch, you should be hinging at the hips, keeping a straight back, you should aim to get your stomach to your thighs and your chin to your knees. If you can't get your stomach to you thighs, bend your knees till you can and then with you stomach "glued" to your thighs try and straighten your legs again.
You might have moved on from PE/IM 2 too soon.
OK, let's see if there is a lack of passive flexibility. I'll post a new pic soon! Compared to the video demonstration my back is definitely more rounded, so is this something I have to fix? How should I keep my scapula? Protracted or retracted? Besides, better if I look forward just like the athlete do. I watch everytime my toes, is this a mistake?Murray Truelove said:I have to agree with the lack of compression, to me it looks like you're achieving all your ROM from rounding your back. From the previous IM you should have the necessary passive flexibility to get into a good pike.
Try a standing toe touch, you should be hinging at the hips, keeping a straight back, you should aim to get your stomach to your thighs and your chin to your knees. If you can't get your stomach to you thighs, bend your knees till you can and then with you stomach "glued" to your thighs try and straighten your legs again.
You might have moved on from PE/IM 2 too soon.
mauler said:OK, let's see if there is a lack of passive flexibility. I'll post a new pic soon! Compared to the video demonstration my back is definitely more rounded, so is this something I have to fix? How should I keep my scapula? Protracted or retracted? Besides, better if I look forward just like the athlete do. I watch everytime my toes, is this a mistake?
I wouldn't worry about scapula or where you're looking, it's about compression.
From your video and comparison image I'd guess your hamstrings are still too tight. You need to be able to tilt your pelvis forwards, so that with a straight back you still have an acute angle between legs and torso. If you took the curve out of your back in the comparison image you'd be much closer to 90° than the athlete.
Test your passive flexibility, if you have enough compression it's just a case of building active flexibility strength but my guess is that your flexibility to touch your toes comes from rounding your back instead of your hamstrings.
I'm pretty sure the compression issue is because you don't have posterior pelvic tilt when you're lying down, instead there's an arch in your back. Tuck-Ups and Straddle-Ups are also performed with the PPT
Alan tseng, so PPT is a must for this exercise too! Thanks for your tip!alan tseng said:I'm pretty sure the compression issue is because you don't have posterior pelvic tilt when you're lying down, instead there's an arch in your back. Tuck-Ups and Straddle-Ups are also performed with the PPT
Anyway I'm pretty sure that I find v-up much more difficult than tuck and straddle up, because in v-up I have to touch my toes, instead in tuck and straddle up in the video demonstration the athlete touches the ground with hands. This way it is much more easy, at least for me, to maintain balance. For v-ups only my butt is in contact with the ground, so I often lose balance, and I fall backwards. If I do not have a wall beside me that keep my back up, it is very hard to keep the position with straight and close legs! In the video demonstration the athlete is able to stop in full rom for a while, this is something that I can't do at all! Maybe is this due to a lack of compression or there is something else?
Can you post a video of your straddle up?
Good Idea! I will post it as soon as I can! [emoji3]Alexander Egebak said:Can you post a video of your straddle up?
Hi Murray! I tried to test my passive flexibility! In the pic you can see that, at least if it Was what you meant.Murray Truelove said:I wouldn't worry about scapula or where you're looking, it's about compression.
From your video and comparison image I'd guess your hamstrings are still too tight. You need to be able to tilt your pelvis forwards, so that with a straight back you still have an acute angle between legs and torso. If you took the curve out of your back in the comparison image you'd be much closer to 90° than the athlete.
Test your passive flexibility, if you have enough compression it's just a case of building active flexibility strength but my guess is that your flexibility to touch your toes comes from rounding your back instead of your hamstrings.
I don't think it is a lack of passive flexibility, but maybe I'm wrong!
Anyway I posted another attempt, I think it is a bit better. I'm trying to not curve my back as much as I can!
MN/PE3 form check: http://youtu.be/UqjoIOVSba8
In the second pic I compare my best to the video demonstration. Do you think is it better than before?
Thank you!
mauler said:Hi Murray! I tried to test my passive flexibility! In the pic you can see that, at least if it Was what you meant.
I don't think it is a lack of passive flexibility, but maybe I'm wrong!
Anyway I posted another attempt, I think it is a bit better. I'm trying to not curve my back as much as I can!
MN/PE3 form check: http://youtu.be/UqjoIOVSba8
In the second pic I compare my best to the video demonstration. Do you think is it better than before?
Thank you!
Looks a lot better. Certainly looks like you have the necessary passive flexibility,