Crunchy Shoulder when doing wide pull-ups

Started by Rob Silver, January 9, 2015 · 7 Replies · 6,391 Views

Rob Silver

The last 6 months I've been upping my pull-up game and finally started weighted  pull-ups.

 

Not going too crazy so far,  sets  of 5-10 with  10kg hanging off me.

 

No issues previously with close grip or medium grip  pull-ups and chin-ups, but a few days ago I got a new bar that lets me do wide grip pull-ups.

 

Wide grip only I seem to have a very "crunchy" shoulder.

 

No pain, or  even discomfort so far, but is this something I should be concerned about?

 

If so can I do anything about it, or shall I just avoid wide grip?

 

Any advice appreciated. 

 

Thanks

 

 

jules

Could be a slight should impingement, rotator cuff issue and or scapular dysfunction.

You can do some easy self elimination tests to narrow down the problem ( however this never as

effective as a qualified therapist).

 

- Google shoulder impingement test (place one hand on opposite shoulder etc)

- Stretch out lats and Pecs to see if that helps

- Take photos to look at your posture. are you slouched? how does your shoulder line up to you ear (from the side)

- stretch biceps to rule out tight bicep tendon pulling the shoulder forward

- roll out the traps and levator scapulae with a ball and see if that helps

 

All these are a general approach. Without further diagnoses, its hard to give specific answers.  

My advice is start with posture analysis.  

Rob Silver
jules said:

Could be a slight should impingement, rotator cuff issue and or scapular dysfunction.

You can do some easy self elimination tests to narrow down the problem ( however this never as

effective as a qualified therapist).

 

- Google shoulder impingement test (place one hand on opposite shoulder etc)

- Stretch out lats and Pecs to see if that helps

- Take photos to look at your posture. are you slouched? how does your shoulder line up to you ear (from the side)

- stretch biceps to rule out tight bicep tendon pulling the shoulder forward

- roll out the traps and levator scapulae with a ball and see if that helps

 

All these are a general approach. Without further diagnoses, its hard to give specific answers.  

My advice is start with posture analysis.  

Thanks, watching a shoulder test video now.

Rob Silver

Update:

 

Negative on self impingement tests, and  posture is OK I  think.

 

If I move my arm unloaded through the motion of a wide pull-up my right shoulder only does a  click each time.

 

It  doesn't do it if I move my arm even a few degrees  forward.

 

Any thoughts on what I can do to smooth this out?

 

Again, at  the  moment, no pain or even discomfort but I am concerned that this  might cause problems under strain.

 

Thanks 

jules

What about dislocates with a stick?

Keilani Gutierrez

have you been doing wall extensions for mobility? doing shoulder mobility is important! if you've done Rows proficiently, there's no real reason why your shoulder is probably rolling forward. this can be confirmed by video, of course and would help the most in the long run to see what can be corrected. that was just a theory, but the wall extensions could be useful :)  

Alexander Egebak

I had this too from an old injury. As it got fixed with specific exercises (supraspinatus strengthening and chest stretches) and ring rows it started to fade

Rob Silver

Great, thanks guys.

 

I'll give all that a go.

 

Much appreciated