This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Help for newbie

Started by chad, January 18, 2008 · 6 Replies · 1,386 Views

chad

Hello all,

I am a 29yo male 5'8 190ish. I have in the past months switched for a bodybuilding type workout to mostly bodyweight training. I have become facinated with male gymnaist there power strength and overall physical appearance. My question is it possible for a non-gymnaist to obtain a build, strength, and power similar to that of a male gymnasist without actually doing gynmastics. I am going to order a set of rings. I currently bodyweight workouts and crossfit workouts 5x a week along with the planche and front lever described by Coach Sommers. I would love if anyone could provide me with a workout outline that might help me with my goals (exercises, sets, reps, frequency, etc.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I just need enough info until Coach Sommers book becomes avaiable

Raizen

First off I'd like to say that I'm glad you decided to go from bodybuilding to strength training. Until Mr. Sommer's book comes out, and until your gymnastics rings arrive, if you want to do some bodyweight training than here are a few fairly simple exercises you might enjoy:

-Dips

-Pullups

-Handstand Pushups

-Hanging Leg Raises (bent knee, L, V)

-Front Lever Progressions

-Planche Progressions

-Muscleups

-Lsit/Vsit

-Pistols

-Advanced Pistol Variations

-Back Levers

-Squat Jumps (Russians)

Once you get your rings I'm sure you can find ways to use them that would certainly make many of the above exercises considerably more difficult. Also, once Mr. Sommer's book comes out, I'm fairly positive that you'll have hundreds of new exercises to try. An idea that I use a lot when training others is to separate workouts into upper body push, upper body pull, core/torso, and legs. Then distribute those over various days of the week so that you have ample recovery time in each area. Here's an example:

Sunday- Rest

Monday- Pull, Core, Legs

Tuesday- Push, Legs

Wednesday- Core

Thursday- Pull, Legs

Friday- Push, Core, Legs

Saturday- Rest

Sets and reps are basically up to you, as only you will be able to feel the effects a workout has on your body, and everyone's body works differently. However a few generally accepted strength training parameters include: 3x5, 4x2, 5x5, 5x3 (setsXreps)

Basically just decided on what you really want to achieve, and then create a routine that best aids in your accomplishment of those goals. Be sure to add ample rest time, as a bodybuilder I imagine you already know that. Even between sets those, its good to rest for 2-5 minutes to allow your muscular AND central nervous systems time to recover. Best of luck!

-A-

ASForum
chad said:
Hello all,

I am a 29yo male 5'8 190ish. I have in the past months switched for a bodybuilding type workout to mostly bodyweight training. I have become facinated with male gymnaist there power strength and overall physical appearance. My question is it possible for a non-gymnaist to obtain a build, strength, and power similar to that of a male gymnasist without actually doing gynmastics. I am going to order a set of rings. I currently bodyweight workouts and crossfit workouts 5x a week along with the planche and front lever described by Coach Sommers. I would love if anyone could provide me with a workout outline that might help me with my goals (exercises, sets, reps, frequency, etc.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I just need enough info until Coach Sommers book becomes avaiable

Might I ask what kind of Bodyweight workouts / routines were u doing?

Amebix138
necrothread.gif
Razz
:lol:
Bob Sanders

RISE ONCE AGAIN TO THE NEW CENTURY OF 2010! RISE MY UNDEAD BROTHERS! RISE! MUH HA HA HA HA HA HA!!! :twisted:

Nick Van Bockxmeer

WHY ARE WE ALL WRITING IN HERE