This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Difficulty with HS/PE1

Started by Edz, January 7, 2015 · 5 Replies · 212 Views

Edz

I've started the Handstand One program and am really struggling holding a tripod (HS/PE1) for any more than a few seconds without toppling over.  I can hold a wall stand and perform some wall runs (PE7 and PE8) but cannot master PE1, which seems so basic! 

 

Are there any pointers or progressions that anyone can recommend?  

Jeremy Huston

Tripod is a skill / balance move more than anything else, so it's mostly a matter of practicing until it feels right.  Make sure your weight is spread out on your hands and head fairly evenly.  

 

For any more detailed of an answer, you'll need to post a video so we can see what's going on.

Alessandro Pantanella

I agree, it's probably a balance issue. A video would help to see if you're doing anything strange.

 

I strongly suggest you get the habit to film yourself even if you don't want to post the video here.

It will help yourself to evaluate your form and what you can improve.

It's crazy how many times I'm convinced that I'm doing an exercise right until I check my video against the athlete in the GB video.

fazool

Below is a post I made several months back relation to HS/PE2 however I discuss PE1 at the end. Hope this helps.

I have begun to practicee HS/PE2 the last couple of weeks following my PE1 exercises. For the first time, today, I was able to extend my legs from the tripod position into the headstand. I was able to hold for about 3 seconds before losing my balance. That being said, it felt good to be able to start to show some progress in this area. I will look forward to continued practice and the eventual work load as I attempted to master the PE2 template hopefully in the near future.

I have mastered the HS/PE1 element, however, I need to work further on the mobility.

I guess my point is just to keep practicing, Eventually, you will develop the strength and coordination of both the musculature and balance to perform these correctly. I experienced this with the Tripod HS's initially as well. Encountered difficulty getting into position. Now it is a breeze.

Jon Douglas

I'd try doing it with back very close to a wall, so that you can confidently go further without worrying about falling. Find the balance point and then work up the time :)

Edz

Thank you all!  I had more of a play around with this movement over the weekend and found that my forearms weren't vertical.  After correcting that I was able to hold it for about 10 seconds.  Onwards!