This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Planche lean scapular depression & protraction

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, January 7, 2015 · 5 Replies · 219 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi all!

This is I perform planche lean. The main stuff I must clarify is about the scapular protraction and depression.

This is my question: Regarding my form, which parts of my body do I have to see to verify that I keep my scapula both protracted and depressed?

1. PROTRACTION: I guess that if I'm protracting my scapula my upper back should be rounded, is it right? In the first picture it looks like that. In the second picture I lean more forward, but the curve of my upper back decreases. Is it a sign that I lose scapular protraction?

2. But what about DEPRESSION? Just look at the first pic. A friend of mine told me my depression is poor, but I can't understand what I have to see to verify this stuff, and How I should fix that!

If you can explain me I will appreciate that!

Thank you!

post-10847-142062032616_thumb.png

post-10847-14206205021_thumb.png

Krel

blog-examprep-091313.jpg

 

- Elevation = scapula toward the ears

- Depression = scapula toward the hips

- Protraction = scapula away from the spine

- Retraction = scapula toward the spine

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Krel said:

blog-examprep-091313.jpg

- Elevation = scapula toward the ears

- Depression = scapula toward the hips

- Protraction = scapula away from the spine

- Retraction = scapula toward the spine

I got it! Thanks for the pic Krel! But If you see my pics could you say that I'm protracting and depressing properly my scapula? In the video demonstation I don't realize very well, but it seems that compared to the first pic my back is more rounded than in the video demonstation. So I wonder if I can lean a bit forward, even if I lose the rounding just like it is shown in the second pic!
Alessandro Mainente

I try to clarify that. the scapular depression should modify APPARENTLY  the level of protraction so that you can see a little the inner part of the scapulas on the back.

during the elevation the medial part of the scapulas is parallel to the spine all the time and if you protract during elevation the medial part should rest parallel to the spine, as the protraction increase you will not see the medial part of scaps that raises from the back. this conformation changes during depression. this because the upper portion of the medial scap moves from parallel position to inclined position. in that configuration if you apply protraction the medial part moves far from the spine but it remains inclined. due to the vertical motion of scapulas and due to the rib cage the quantity of protraction is a little bit limited and you will se a little bit of winged scaps. probably with no depression the  upper back of van gelder should be like in the rx part of the pic.

 

post-1151-0-56558300-1420642682_thumb.jp

 

My coaches who are both judges said to me that this is by far the most hard part to see during competition.

Krel

150107041730189839.jpg

 

I think that your ROM (red lines perpendicular to the ground) and degree of depression (black lines) are good.

 

I would say that there is a lack of protraction (circles) and that your hips are too high (red lines parallel to the ground).

Alessandro Di Sanzo
Krel said:

150107041730189839.jpg

I think that your ROM (red lines perpendicular to the ground) and degree of depression (black lines) are good.

I would say that there is a lack of protraction (circles) and that your hips are too high (red lines parallel to the ground).

Finally I got it! This pic and what alex87 wrote clarified me! Thank you all! I will try to fix my form as soon as possible! [emoji6]