This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Ground Rows - how high to pull?

Started by Anton Emery, January 7, 2015 · 8 Replies · 348 Views

Anton Emery

Hi Folks,

 

Just started on the Ground Rows today. Should the thumb make contact with the front of the shoulder at the top of the rep? Watching the video it appears he does. But no matter how hard I pull I am always an inch short, cant quite make contact.

 

thanks

 

Anton

kimura

Maybe you should go back and recheck mastery of previous elements. The inability to pull all the way until the thumb touches the shoulder is a lack of strength. I can do it for the first few reps but it then starts to fade and I can no longer touch my shoulder. I just started RC/PE3. Hope that helps a bit

Anton Emery

Thanks. Yea I have scaled it back to the previous movement until I can pull thumb to armpit for the specified reps.

 

Anton

curtis

I'm not a moderator or fitness expert, but I don't believe that you need to actually touch your thumb to your shoulder with this exercise, just get near it.  Personally, I'm not built that way. I can't even do that naturally when I'm not under tension (and I believe I have good shoulder and chest mobility). I can only do it if I rotate my elbows out and hands in, and that's just bad form. I think this exercise works better when the thumbs are below the shoulders, near the bottom of the chest or mid-chest, but I don't think the thumbs need to actually touch the chest for full range.

kimura

I think if he touches his shoulder in the video then that's what we should strive for. If the chest is too tight then we have to address that before moving to the next exercise in my opinion.

Duff

Think pulling to your pecs/chest.

jaz

Touch your chest with your thumbs.

It's important for the future, many guys here are stuck on RC/PE6 because of neglect of previous elements.

Always match the athlete on the video or do better.

Can you post a video of RC/PE2 and RC/PE3 so we can help

curtis

Eh. I think it also depends on the width of the ring placement. Touching thumb to upper body is an easy measure of range, but with a wider set-up you can't naturally do that and attempt to pinch the shoulder blades together at the top of the rep. I don't believe touching the body is an essential detail for mastery if overall range is still good.  I'm now curious what the program moderators think.

Alexander Egebak

Just did that thumb to chest thing and failed this week for PE 3, thank you for that... But I guess it prepares me better for PE 6, especially if one should add a top position hold  :icon_twisted: