I am off to a great start with the F1 course and I am looking towards the future where I may need more specialized equipment to perform the movements. I have been able to improvise with a ring set suspended from a pullup bar and a single dowel "stall bar" so far, but I am thinking these won't suffice long. While I am looking for a studio in my area that will allow me to use their equipment, are there any suggestions for what I can build / buy to get me through the F1 course?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
New to F1 - Equipment necessary for home
Started by Michael Sharp, January 7, 2015 · 5 Replies · 505 Views
How handy are you with woodworking?
Stall bars become more important the further you get through the course. I'd highly recommend putting your priority into buying a pair, making a pair, or looking for a gym that has some.
If you have a pair of stall bars, it's not difficult to make a dip station that attaches to them.
For the most part, though, you can make your way through F1 improvising with things you already have at home.
Does anyone have any recommendations for weighted bars? It is certainly possible to use a wooden dowel with either wrist weights or plates on the bar, but if there are more elegant solutions I'd be interested.
Specific problems: Using plates on a bar limits ROM when doing prone or supinated elements (you lose a few inches at the beginning/end of ROM), and they have a tendency to slide. Wrist weights slip if they're too loose, and are restrictive to movement when tight enough (I tried with shoulder dislocates; did not like).
I bought a piece of 6" metal tube stock. I bought a thickness and length such that it would weigh exactly 7.5#; then I wrapped tennis racket tape around the bar for grip. It works great, and if I want to increase the weight I can use clips to put weight plates on the end.
Are you using it for dislocates?
Yup. And shoulder extensions and jefferson curls (I use a lot more weight for those)