My Basic Skills Video

Started by jamesters, July 19, 2009 · 3 Replies · 1,901 Views

jamesters

I'm self trained but I strive to have good form, so I've put together a video of all my basic skills such as rolls, cartwheels, etcetera. I hope it's not too big of a request to ask advice for all this. Feel free to give harsh critique, I won't take offense, also I'm knowledgeable of gymnastics terms such as hollow and the sort so you can say those things and I'll understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OvG3cmpp5o

Notes:

1) Not actually sure what ideal form of dive roll should be.

2) My knees always bend when my glutes hit the floor on backward roll straddles and pikes. Also I see those done many different ways, some tap their hands to the floor before going, some have bent arms, not sure what ideal form should be!

3) My back always arches on backward roll hollow which I'm assuming is not good.

4) I have a difficult time holding the balance after pushing up from back extensions.

5) I assume hands should reach for feet pn pike jump but I'm not sure.

6) My standing full twist is better than my full turn. I'm not sure where my arms should be on a full turn and how to keep my body straighter.

7) I can jump higher from standing than from my round offs and I don't know why that is.

Blairbob

HS forward roll. Lean it past vertical then roll out. Ideally like the candlestick, hold that hollow/candle position as long as possible.

I'd like you to hold the pike in the pike forward roll until you are standing in the pike position and then open up.

You are throwing your hips on your bent and straight arm back extension. Shoot toes like the candlestick.

In all of your CW, you are dropping your lead arm versus keeping it right at the ear.

You are not turning your RO enough over in any version. Notice your body is diagonal forward on the rebound. It should be vertical or diagonal backwards depending on what you want to do with it ( BHS series or whipback or back salto ).

Work CW step in to 3 steps back focusing on over rotating it to create backward momentum. You want to cause it over rotate it so you have to step back or you'll land on your ass or head. This will also help the turnover issue with your RO.

jamesters

Thanks so much, those are helpful tips! You answered most of my questions but I'm still wondering some things.

Is there any more efficient way to do backward roll straddles and pikes, my knees always bend slightly when I do them.

Also, where should my arms for full turns? Do I keep them both straight, do I bring them to my chest or ribs?

Blairbob

There are many schools for twisting the arms. You can raise both up, both elbows to front and back, drop 1 arm and keep the other up or pull them both down.

As for your slight bend of knees, more flexibility is necessary or focusing on squeezing those quads to lock out the knees.