This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

dorsal wrist impingement

Started by derekg, January 2, 2015 · 1 Replies · 102 Views

derekg

Hey guys, I really enjoy this forum.  I have learned a lot.  I am an older guy (45 y/o) who has exercised pretty much my whole life but I'm really enjoying the GST the last year or so.  But all of the hands on the ground training causes my wrists to flair up.  Between the handstands and pushups both of my wrists can get sore pretty quick.  This is something I've had happen for years, even during high school wrestling.  I was hoping that the wrist prep exercises in H1 would help but so far they haven't.  The problem appears to be dorsal wrist impingement which is where the dorsal edge of the radius impinges on the wrist bones, usually the scaphoid, and causes inflammation.  The treatment of choice appears to be rest.  I have been able to work around it at times by keeping my wrists straight during some exercises, such as doing fist pushups, etc.  Any other ideas out there?  How can I keep this from happening?  I haven't been able to find any reason why this happens, such is inflexibility or weakness per se.  Nor do I do heavy or dynamic exercises, just F1 and H1.  Thanks a lot for any ideas.

derekg

Well, I thought that there might be a few ideas as I've heard that this is a common ailment among gymnasts.  Anyways, I'll just keep doing my best and let you know if I find something that works. 

Again, I really appreciate this forum.  I've learned a lot from everyone on here.