This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Having Flu - Should I train?

Started by HB_Ron, January 1, 2015 · 4 Replies · 247 Views

HB_Ron

I've had a flu since Saturday. My throat is still sore, I had earache and temperature so high that I barely could get up or stand without feeling some pain in my lower back, but everything is getting better now. 

Two days ago I started doing only some coordination work and juggling(it included stretching and some lunges while picking up the ball). My question is; can I begin some foundation training although I'm not healed yet and is it recommended to move(stretch and some coordination/balance work) when sick assuming that an illness is unfortunately like an injury?

 

Thanks and happy new year! My best wishes for you guys :)

Daniel Burnham

No. Eat soup. Sleep and heal. You can train when you are better.

HB_Ron

All right I will take your advice Daniel. I've already done what you suggested-I was eating lots of soup and slept for quite a long time  ;)

Now I'm a lot better expect for my rough&somewhat creepy voice, but I will give a few more days off.

Jeremy Huston

Some very light movement (not training) can help the immune system.

Sisyphus

I train if I'm ill above the shoulders but not if I'm ill below them. :)  

 

Often that will mean scaling the work back significantly - I might do the next deload volume or just one set per exercise and I take as long as I need in between sets. If I don't finish the workout, it doesn't matter. But I have to do something; I once had a fast 10k interval run scheduled (before GST consumed my life) during a bout of flu and went out in the falling snow to get on with it. I looped back after 1.5k and walked much of the return but it felt good to be out of the house and the exercise gave as much relief from my symptoms as painkillers.

 

All I would say is stay away from technical movements - things that you're still learning or that require concentration. Most colds/flu/allergy/headache (above the shoulders stuff) is self limiting due to increased fatigue. I find I tend to tire before I could compromise my recovery; but tiring during a technical movement might unbalance you or otherwise fast track you to injury.