This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Newbie Questions - Just finding my feet

Started by Simon Piccirillo, December 31, 2014 · 6 Replies · 177 Views

Simon Piccirillo

Hello there everyone

 

I have just purchased H1 and F1 and am wading through the information so I can fully understand the system before I'm ready to start since I am recovering from surgery on my wrist at the start of December (arothscopy plus a tightening of the TFCC ligament)

 

I am a 33 year old fireman and I'm not in bad shape but have always struggled with strength work and injury due to some joint problems and such (too mobile). 

 

Anyway, I'm genuinely excited about starting and am hopeful about what this system can do for me with hard work and dedication. 

 

Up to now I have managed to find everything I wasn't sure about with F1 in the forums but H1 has been different. 

 

A quick questions I had about H1 up until now is (apologies if it is elsewhere)

 

 

1. For Wrist push ups/First Knuckle Push ups/Wrist rocks/Fingertip pushups....all these exercises have 8 PE's and SE's.....however Freestanding Handstand has 12 PE's and 14 SE's? 

 

Everything in F1 seems to be in sync so this confused me a little. With the other ex's have 8 sections in total (possible 96 weeks) whilst the Handstand has 26 PE's/SE's in total (possible 288 weeks)

 

Now I know you don't have to do the whole 12 weeks for each element but I was a little confused by the massive difference when everything else seems to be so in line with each other in the whole system. 

 

 

2. My goal is to eventually train 4 days a week F1 and add 2 days of H1 after 2 of my F1 sessions. I hope to be able to begin in the next few months and am thinking it might be best to try a 3 day week at first (3 x F1 , 1 x H1) just to ease my wrist into it. Is there anyone out there with wrist issues or old ones who can advise me on this?  

 

 

 

Thank you whoever can answer me this

 

Simon 

 

 

 

adara9

1. Yes, the wrist exercises have a different number of PE's/SE's than the handstand. (I recently noticed that SLS in F1 is also different from the others.) I think the big discrepancy is because the wrist stuff is building strength and mobility, and is supposed to "take place at a relatively light, comfortable intensity." I sort of imagine them as iM's that needed more progression than the usual iM.

 

2. I'm also pretty new, but I'm doing as you're suggesting, only 1 day of H1 per week. It seems to allow my wrists to feel just barely completely recovered by the first workout of the following week, but is still enough volume to make progress. I would also suggest not trying to test out of the wrist exercises, but just start at Week 1 for everything to make sure to keep things light and gentle for your wrists. (That's what's working for me so far.)

Simon P

Thank you Adara for the reply

 

 

1. When you speak of the wrist exercises (push ups, rocks, fingertips etc)  are you saying you think you're supposed to be able to get through to mastery on them fairly quick and then mainly focus on the HS PE's and SE's? Which of course there are many?

 

2. I think I will take your advice and start off with one day a week till I feel a little more sure of how the wrist is feeling. That makes more sense. 

 

 

Thank you getting back to me so quick! 

 

 

Salivanth

Foundation One is one quarter of a full course, comprising seven elements. Handstand One is an entire element from start to finish. Most of the Foundation elements (Comprised of Foundations one through four) have a similar length to the Handstand element.

Simon P

Hello Salivanth

 

Thanks for your reply. So H1 is a longer course in its own right and thats the reason for the extra elements/longer course duration.

 

Thanks for your reply and really happy to be part of this forum. 

Joshua Slocum

The HS progression in H1 is about as long as the individual exercise progressions in F1-4. 

 

Or, put another way: Handstand 1 is about as long as Foundation. Foundation 1 is just one quarter of Foundation, which is why it's so much shorter than Handstand 1. 

Simon P

Thanks for the response guys and the welcoming attitude