This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Break in training

Started by Robert Reed, December 31, 2014 · 3 Replies · 170 Views

Robert Reed

I've been following FL1 for the last 4 months.  But there have been several times where I had a break in training due to work, travel, and life (1 to 3 weeks).  When I pick it back up should I just treat it as a reload and stay on my current exercises or should I go back and do some sort of reassessment each time?

 

Thanks

Rob

Joshua Slocum

A one-week break I wouldn't worry about too much. After three weeks I would probably drop the number of sets and reps by a step or two.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Do whatever feels right. Normally i'd just go along with whatever would have been the next week's reps/sets. But if you've off it for so long that that's not possible then just scale it down a bit.

For instance last week was Christmas so I missed my Thursday and Friday workouts. This week is my deload week. But since I missed my last workout I'm taking a couple progressions and doing them at my week 3 intensity because I want to see if I can move on to the next progression. Would this be "by the book" probably not. Am I sill giving myself adequate rest and taking it in stride. Yes I am. Stay active and stay disciplined about getting back to the workouts but staying flexible as to life's curveballs is just as important.

Jon Douglas

As Josh said. For a week, I'd just restart the cycle. For three weeks, I'd drop back one, but allow it leeway to advance again if it were appropriate :)