This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Message for the Old Inflexible Guys After 3 "Months"

Started by DAMIEN DEL RUSSO, December 31, 2014 · 5 Replies · 457 Views

DAMIEN DEL RUSSO

Comrades,

 

Thought I would share some experience and hopefully inspiration as I finish my 3rd cycle and end the year:

 

* Delays are OK, that is, better than skipping or quitting. I have many "weeks" that take 8-9 days, and it has taken 4 calendar months to finish 12 weeks of GB training. Yet the gains continue. Try to stick to it, but don't spaz and overtrain or skip workouts if you fall "behind" - just follow the program.

 

* Don't hack the program. I tried to reverse the push-ups and planks in F1 one workout and got destroyed. Worst workout thus far. Follow the program.

 

* Mobility can suck, but it helps a lot. And it feels great when you find new ROM. Use a dowel with an ankle weight, 2 lbs is fine - it's still hard. There is a huge difference between 2 lbs and 5 lbs - start low. Don't use an empty bar or yoga strap - I already asked and NO you must use something weighted. Don't skip mobility - follow the program.

 

* Using only F1 + H1 is fine. I don't do any cardio, barely any stretching, I have a laughable warm-up (5 mins salsa dancing) and don't lift any weights. Yet the gains cometh. GB works, just follow the program.

 

* Nobody will understand what you're doing or going through with the program - read the forum if you feel lonely. I read about how one guy weeped after Arch Body Rocks and I was inspired. I smile during the crappiest sets, it's a cheap trick to improve your attitude.

 

* V-ups suck. Nonetheless, after many sets of these, the other day I suddenly felt something click and my legs looked less ridiculous. I still have no compression by it's amazing what progress comes if you follow the program.

 

* If you have downstairs neighbors, deck squats may be problematic. They shake my entire building! I go outside to do them. I was so humbled the first day, I could do an OK pistol with each leg but I could not do a damn single deck squat. 3 months later I am testing my reps of 15 and fully expect to pass (4 x 15 was no problem). Yay! Follow the program.

 

* 5x60 is a lot different than hitting a position for 3 seconds. Just saying. Obtain mastery by following the program.

 

Well that's a lot, I hope some old inflexible person like me takes heart and makes gains as I have. I'm on a 5 year (at least) GB program - mentally it's a shift from 3 month cycles. A big shift. It's humbling. But look at those ahead of us - they're pretty awesome! And my non-training friends, they think even noob GB stuff is awesome. So do it.

 

Damien

 

PS Wrist exercises work. Do no sleep on the wrist stuff. I can do stuff after 3 months that was really tough starting out. It's cool. Follow the program.

DBeckerman

Thanks for sharing your experiences! There are a lot I can sympathize with you on!

With some PE/SE's I thought I needed more strength (in fact I thought I needed this more in general). I recently only got into extra mobility work via Kit Laughlin's series and found I needed more mobility not strength. No more apparent than SLS in which I have just got my first SLS mainly due to improved ankle and knee flexion ROM. Next cycle I am even going to drop to a three day a week Foundation/ Handstand to fit in more mobility.

 

Good luck in 2015 everyone. Personal goals are to smash HS PE2 iM mastery in 2015......

Alexander Egebak

Thank you for sharing.

 

"* Nobody will understand what you're doing or going through with the program - read the forum if you feel lonely. I read about how one guy weeped after Arch Body Rocks and I was inspired. I smile during the crappiest sets, it's a cheap trick to improve your attitude"

 

This really gets to me. No matter how much of an effort I make trying to explain the whys of the program I always get doubt. "That looks dangerous", "you are doing that exercise wrong" and "this will help you more". It is annoying and I have learned to ignore most of the time but it really gets to me when my family would not listen. I might not have the experience nor the ability to give an explanation that is not confusing for outsiders to understand. That inability to give a "proper" explanation is mistaken for being wrong.

 

Well, I am glad there is a forum for the programs so that you do not have to fight the world alone :D

vinca_minor

"That inability to give a "proper" explanation is mistaken for ignorance."

 

The inability to explain properly *is* ignorance.   It's OK to be ignorant about something, though.   If we knew everything about it, we wouldn't need a program that laid things out for us, would we?

Alexander Egebak
vinca_minor said:

"That inability to give a "proper" explanation is mistaken for ignorance."

 

The inability to explain properly *is* ignorance.   It's OK to be ignorant about something, though.   If we knew everything about it, we wouldn't need a program that laid things out for us, would we?

Looks like a used a wrong translation. I mean something like stupidity, being wrong etc. English is not my native language, sorry for confusion.

Colin Broadwater

Almost three weeks in.  I turn 40 this year and can barely touch my toes.  Reading you post helps me a lot.  Thank you...