This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Joint grinding/clicking during manna PE1/iM1

Started by e1manclav, December 30, 2014 · 7 Replies · 231 Views

e1manclav

Hi all,

I'd like to start by being grateful to have such a large resource to help with fellow enthusiast's concerns.

 

I will try to be as brief as possible:

During my training in F1 i have been experiencing some clicking/popping of my hips as well as some grinding of my shoulders mostly during the manna PE1/iM1 exercises.

 

I am currently on week 3 of PE1 for the manna and am training H1 simultaneously uing the twice a week schedule (M-F1, T-H1, Th-F1, F-H1).  During the manna PE1 I am consistently having no problem keeping up with the reps/sets but more often than not am hearing/feeling clicking/popping from both hip joints when returning to the rest/starting position. There is no pain/soreness associated with this symptom before, during, or after the exercise/workout.

The shoulder is grinding during the iM exercise following the PE1.  When I rotate my arm inwards as described I will hear/feel grinding unless I really slack off on the ROM both vertically and rotationally. Same as the hips, no pain/soreness before, during, or afterwards. I understand I am supposed to aim for full ROM but I am worried if I don't push a little bit I will never reach it. Could my weight be too much? It is only 5 lbs.


Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do not want an injury to postpone my efforts thus far.

Thanks in advance.

Evan

Murray Truelove

Try reaching as high as you can and initiate the turn early. If I don't do this I get a lot of what you describe as well.

sean

I had similar issues with one shoulder. Zach had suggested to look into doing some hanging practice and it has made the world of diffierence. Hanging has stretched my shoulder and the joint which made a huge difference in my overhead reach. For the first time I can do windmills without pain in my one shoulder. I do get some grinding at times and some hip pops but, right or wrong, I dont worry about it if it don't cause pain at the time or day after. I would say if your new to this give it time.....a long time to see how things change and loosen up as you progress. I find that the grinding and popping is not consistent as I progress in foundationa and HS. Maybe you'll find this useful....or if any GB coaches chime in then follow that advice ;)

e1manclav

I recall reading someone that Coach said when doing dislocates there should never be any grinding present. If so you need to widen your grip and tone it down. I'm hoping I can get some clarification on this matter from a trainer or from Coach.

e1manclav

Thanks that is in fact more clear. However, I am not sure whether my joint is "grinding" or grinding. It sounds bad and somewhat gross.. Hm

e1manclav

I agree. However in this case (MN iM1) I'm nor really sure how to back off since it occurs even without using a weight.

sean

Yes I believe you are correct. I think coach discussed it in a podcast. But I think he was addressing issues of pain and lack of mobility in the movement. I would agree that starting out wide then moving in negates the possible issues of causing problems by working safely. Myself I had to use a rubber band to start for my shoulders to not grind, I had to start lower than head height to not grind. Now I can use a dowel. But with other mobility iMs its not always possible to modify without a bit of grinding and other ugly pain free noises. At least this is my limited experience with it. With time I've noticed improvements. But As you said look to coaches or trainers for the definitive word as I would.

dynamo

Usually one can tell if the clicks and pops are occurring during a healthy range of motion of the joint or if the clicks and pops indicate the joint is getting set up for an injury.

 

A simple rule of thumb for joint clicks and pops is if it doesn't hurt or bother you then don't worry about it.  I and people I know have used this rule w/ much success.  If there are exceptions to this rule I have not heard of them, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.