This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

vertical Pike walk substitute

Started by pcain420, December 26, 2014 · 15 Replies · 450 Views

pcain420

Is there a substitute for this?

Rayne-William

No

Joshua Slocum

You'll have to tell us more. Why do you need/want a substitute? What equipment is available to you?

pcain420

All I have is a pullup and dip station

pcain420

Come on guys any suggestions!

adara9

Seems like a sub for the stall bars would be better than a sub for the exercise. Perhaps a ladder at a nearby playground?

Joshua Slocum

Hmm, you're going to need to figure out a stall bar substitute sooner or later: they're used quite frequently in Foundation. Are there any playgrounds near you? Do you have access to a gym?

pcain420

There are playgrounds near me, and I do have access to a gym.  However,  I am a busy entrepreneur with a family and I am not going to sacrifice certain things just to go to the park to use a ladder.  Creating my family business is priority right now 

Alan Tseng

Since you have access to a gym, use the smith machine, and instead of walking "up" with your feet, walk "down" with your hands by lowering the smith machine each time.

 

 

Otherwise, I don't see why you can't buy a simple ladder in your house or in your workplace

pcain420

could i use a dowel on a door frame?    if so where can i put my feet

Alan Tseng

If it works and is safe, I don't see why not.  (Though is it fast and easy to lower the dowel?)  

 

Same place as the video, feet underneath the bar

Joshua Slocum
pcain420 said:

There are playgrounds near me, and I do have access to a gym.  However,  I am a busy entrepreneur with a family and I am not going to sacrifice certain things just to go to the park to use a ladder.  Creating my family business is priority right now 

That's perfectly understandable: life comes first! Unfortunately, there's no good way of substituting the vertical pike walk (and the related exercises in iM6 and iM7), but here are some ideas that might help out:

 

- build up more weight in your jefferson curls: try to get up to doing them with 1x bodyweight

- get some heavy weights you can safely attach to your feet. Lay on your back with your feet up in the air. Slowly bring your feet towards your face (e.g. an upside-down pike position), then raise them back up

- look around your house/outside for something you can use for the vertical pike walk [i'm guessing you've already done this, but just in case you haven't, it's worth looking:get creative!].

- if you work out at the gym, you might be able to do these on a smith machine

 

For the long-term, I recommend looking into installing some stall-bars at your house. The further you get in Foundation, the more important they are!

Joshua Slocum
pcain420 said:

could i use a dowel on a door frame?    if so where can i put my feet

Yes, that's a great idea.

 

What I would do is put a sturdy board (a regular piece of 2x4 should do) on your side of the doorframe that you can rest your feet up against. Then put the dowel on the other side of the doorframe. 

Jon Douglas
pcain420 said:

could i use a dowel on a door frame?    if so where can i put my feet

That's excellent!

Oliver Harris

I have a question regarding the pike walks, in the video the athlete begins with his feet on the bottom rung of the stall bars and his hands on the 7th from the floor, he then climbs until his feet are on the fifth bar leaving just one bar in between his hands and his feet. Is it necessary to use this same distancing, on my stall bars I'm only able to get to the point where two bars are between my hands and feet but any closer and I lose my balance. I could do the same number of rungs if my hands started on the eighth rung and at the highest point there were two bars between... Does it depend on the height/build of the athlete or should we all be aiming for the same distances?

 

Many thanks

Rayne-William
Oliver Harris said:

I have a question regarding the pike walks, in the video the athlete begins with his feet on the bottom rung of the stall bars and his hands on the 7th from the floor, he then climbs until his feet are on the fifth bar leaving just one bar in between his hands and his feet. Is it necessary to use this same distancing, on my stall bars I'm only able to get to the point where two bars are between my hands and feet but any closer and I lose my balance. I could do the same number of rungs if my hands started on the eighth rung and at the highest point there were two bars between... Does it depend on the height/build of the athlete or should we all be aiming for the same distances?

 

Many thanks

Don't worry if your performance doesn't match the athlete's exactly. Do the best you can, your flexibility will get better.

 

It is best to have your stall bar rungs the same distance apart. 36 inches (91.44cm) wide, 8 feet(2.44m) tall, with rungs 6 inches (15.24cm) apart is fairly common with the build plans found on this website.

 

Generally speaking and in regards to Vertical Pike walks themselves. The entire course video demonstrates ONE repetition rather than five repetitions. Although this is a integrated mobility element you will need the strength that is develop for harder elements later in the course.