This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC PE3 Tendonosis What To Do?

Started by Collin, December 25, 2014 · 20 Replies · 632 Views

Collin

I began GB 42 weeks ago. At the time I had chronic tedonosis for 1-2 years in my left inner/medial (golfers elbow).

I worked with one of Kelly Starrets (Becoming the Supple Leapord/ Mobility WOD) students named Roop on line. It took me about 6 months to heal it. Which is also the time that Coach says it takes for soft tissues to regenerate.

1 week after my left elbow healed my right one began hurting really bad in basically the same inner elbow spot? This was really surprising because I had no symptoms before that.

The main trigger is Rows. At the time I was doing RC/PE3 Ground Rows and I really believe I had my form spot on. I backed up in the sequence many times to improve my form. Fully externally rotating, moving very slowly through the movement, etc.

At this point I am not doing anything in the Rope Climb sequence and while I am working through other exercises I haven't touched rows in weeks because it just hurts too bad.

Right now I am Voodoo Flossing two times a day and doing some other mobility movements for my shoulder, thoracic spine that I learned for my left elbow from Roop.

I don't know what to do?

Should I start over with RC/PE1, not do anything?
Is there other exercises I could do to at least work those muscle groups so they don't totally get behind?

Anyone else have sucess healing todonosis with any other modalities like acupuncture, PRP, dry needling, herbs, etc?






 

Vincearoo

Voodoo flossing is a very great thing for elbow pain. That was my go to treatment. I added and still use sledge hammer turns in my workouts. Hold a sledgehammer the further down you hold it, the tougher it is, and then your hand side to side with your elbow bent. You can do a similar motion with your elbow locked straight in front of you for your shoulders.

I did a lessee version of Pe2 with high reps as I recovered.

If you're in pain now, stop. Let it rest. When it begins to feel better return to training at a very low intensity and build slowly.

Jay Horley
Vincearoo said:

Voodoo flossing is a very great thing for elbow pain. That was my go to treatment. I added and still use sledge hammer turns in my workouts. Hold a sledgehammer the further down you hold it, the tougher it is, and then your hand side to side with your elbow bent. You can do a similar motion with your elbow locked straight in front of you for your shoulders.

I did a lessee version of Pe2 with high reps as I recovered.

If you're in pain now, stop. Let it rest. When it begins to feel better return to training at a very low intensity and build slowly.

Great comment. in my experience a lot of elbow pain is caused by an imbalance between the elbowflexors/forearm or even an imbalanced forearm, extension to flexion for example.

sledge hammer work is a good place to start.

Alessandro Mainente

Can you make a picture and identify with a spot where you feel pain?

Collin

I forgot about the hammer rotations which I will start to do again.

Here's a picture of me poking with my thumb right where it hurts (daughter goofing in the background).
It's the tendon right next to the bulbous bone on the inside of the elbow.

Thank you everyone!

post-10549-0-40749400-1419556103_thumb.j

 

Gillham

My elbows flare up when I step outside the programming so make sure you are not doing stuff that causes more stress on the elbows ie curls or kipping pull ups.

The chin up bar hang helps me with elbow pain as does this

Steve Maxwell: The Weaver Stick:

at low intensities
Collin

I actually quit all weight lifting, etc to focus on GB in large part so I could address soft tissue development.
So getting tondonosis in my right elbow was quite a dissapointment.

I will check out the exercise that you mention and also the link.
Thanks you,

Collin

Mark Collins

You need to incorporate isometric exercises before doing RC/PE3. I would do wrist flexion isometrics just off full flexion. 3 sets of 60 secs with 60 sec rest. The weight should be moderate intensity. These can be done daily.

There is some interesting research coming out on patella tendinopathy with Volleyball players. They did heavy leg extension isometrics which dropped there pain from 7/10 to 0.5/10 for at least 45 mins post isometrics. They also had improved maximal voluntary contraction of the quads. This allowed them to continue to compete and train with otherwise painful patella tendinopathy. When I get more time I will post the details of the study.

Alan Tseng
Mark Collins said:

You need to incorporate isometric exercises before doing RC/PE3. I would do wrist flexion isometrics just off full flexion. 3 sets of 60 secs with 60 sec rest. The weight should be moderate intensity. These can be done daily.

There is some interesting research coming out on patella tendinopathy with Volleyball players. They did heavy leg extension isometrics which dropped there pain from 7/10 to 0.5/10 for at least 45 mins post isometrics. They also had improved maximal voluntary contraction of the quads. This allowed them to continue to compete and train with otherwise painful patella tendinopathy. When I get more time I will post the details of the study.

That sounds like false grip hold

Mark Collins
alan tseng said:

That sounds like false grip hold

False grip lock offs work well. If you are not at that level a weighted barbell does a good job.

Collin

Marc thank you for this information!

I'll start searching youtube and such, but do you have any recommeded links for the exercises you mentioned like the wrist flexion isometrics, false grip lock offs, etc?

Should I do the lock offs with rings and in what position?
I've also seen chin up lock offs and similiar.

In normal daily activity I notice the most significant pain when wringing out a wash cloth (twisting and gripping) and also just pushing against the side of my face.

Along with the mobility I just began doing the exercises outlined in this article for medial epicondylosis. The rotations to the side seem to target the tendon that really hurts.
ri_dodgyelbow.pdf

 

Kai Ewert

I think you are on a good path. Medial epicondylitis is common in climbers, so you have a good source there. The author of that article has some videos on his website that might help, as well as one that is an update/addition to the article here: https://vimeo.com/110276040

 

Several people have mentioned in the Rings One forum that false grip hangs (think RC/PE6 for timing) have been beneficial for medial epicondylitis. Very interesting that science is starting to catch up with that :). Here's a picture of it (L-sit not required):

 

 https://www.facebook.com/GymnasticBodies/photos/a.446622315361474.111576.295172437173130/862038767153158/

Collin

Wow, this is perfect Kai.
Thank you very much for the links.
The updated video is so much better than the printed article.
He goes into the angles and slight adjustments much more thoroughly.

Mark Collins

Rings one has the false grip lock off. Look up wrist curls that bodybuilders do. Instead of moving the weight up and down hold the weight at the top position.

Collin

Mark are the false grip hangs and false grip lock offs the same thing?
I'm finding a variety of stuff on line, but just want to make sure I am doing the right one.
 

Kai Ewert

Hang = unspecified degree of elbow flexion, often straight arm

lock off = full elbow flexion as in RC/PE6

Collin

Ok got it. Thanks for everything.

Alan Tseng

Sorry I made a mistake earlier, when I was quoting Mark Collins, I was referring to the lockoffs

BenHack

For what it's worth I had tendinitis in both elbows at the beginning of foundation. I've been using a rice bucket and using the wrist stretches from Handstand every day and have found the pain has gone. I'm still on RC1 and haven't noticed it aggravating the issue.

Cheers

Ben

Kai Ewert

I have another link for you. It is similar as far as the exercise goes but has some more useful links as well as success stories. 

 

Do check the comments, there are some useful links in there as well.

 

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=3614

 

This also reminded me that sometimes "elbow pain" is caused by inflammation of the biceps tendon. A friend of mine (climber) had that problem, and got rid of it with high rep, low intensity biceps curls (also covered by Mark's comment (endurance), but I thought it was worth mentioning that it was the biceps tendon; not sure where exactly he was feeling the pain)

Collin

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.