This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SPL/SE1 iM completely stymied

Started by Collin, December 25, 2014 · 8 Replies · 229 Views

Collin

I've never hit a mobility that has so completely stumped me and I don't have any idea on how to approach it. I don't think I have anywhere near the strength to deal with it. I do have fairly long, strong/heavy legs which probably isn't helping, but I'm not looking for that to be an excuse.

It's a massive strength indeavor, IMO much more difficult than the SPL/SE1 itself, which I am doing without huge difficulty.

 

Any help greatly appreciated.

 

 

Joshua Slocum

Did you master PPP yet? Because it's not much more difficult than a correctly done PPP. 

Collin

PPP?

Joshua Slocum

HBP/PE3: pseudo-planche pushups. 

Joshua Slocum

If you haven't mastered PPP yet, then that's the most likely issue: your bent-arm pushing strength is lagging behind your straight arm pushing strength.

 

If you have mastered PPP, then it's likely just a technique issue. If you post some videos of your attempts at entering the position, I can offer some pointers. 

 

Even still, I personally found SE1>iM to be much more difficult than SE1. I ended up essentially swapping the two: holding the SE time constant while I built up the volume of the iM. Once I got to 4x18s SE1 + 4x10s SE1>iM, I then was able to complete weeks 9-12 of the cycle without any trouble. Currently I'm doing the same thing with SE2.

Collin

Thank you for the PPP clarification and advice.

I am curently working on PPP and they are coming along, but slowly. I just posted my PPP HBP/PE3 video to the forum and got some good critique, so I'm backing up to redo block 2 because my form was off.

 

Joshua Slocum
Collin said:

Thank you for the PPP clarification and advice.

I am curently working on PPP and they are coming along, but slowly. I just posted my PPP HBP/PE3 video to the forum and got some good critique, so I'm backing up to redo block 2 because my form was off.

 

Ah, I see. In that case, I'd put your sPL work on the back burner and focus on the PPP. 

Keilani Gutierrez
Joshua Slocum said:

If you haven't mastered PPP yet, then that's the most likely issue: your bent-arm pushing strength is lagging behind your straight arm pushing strength.

 

If you have mastered PPP, then it's likely just a technique issue. If you post some videos of your attempts at entering the position, I can offer some pointers. 

 

Even still, I personally found SE1>iM to be much more difficult than SE1. I ended up essentially swapping the two: holding the SE time constant while I built up the volume of the iM. Once I got to 4x18s SE1 + 4x10s SE1>iM, I then was able to complete weeks 9-12 of the cycle without any trouble. Currently I'm doing the same thing with SE2.

adding this to the clipnotes ;) 

LateStarter@46

Thanks for the clarification Joshua, it made complete sense. Much appreciated.