This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

A Fkton of HBP/PE2 Attempts - Critique's Appreciated !

Started by HB_Ron, December 24, 2014 · 4 Replies · 188 Views

HB_Ron

Title says all. I attempted HBP/PE2 about 10 times..

 

I have many questions because I'm very confused about the form. I hope it doesn't bother anyone..Sorry in advanced for the long post  :wacko:

 

 

1. When I only started F1, I used to round the middle back more than the upper back.. Is it acceptable to keep both at the same level/height? When my middle back is lower than the upper back, it looks just awkward. 

 

2. Is it fine to raise the butt just a little at the top position? Like I mentioned; it feels and looks awkward.post-8384-0-60882200-1419462406_thumb.pn

 

3. Not always am I able to protract at the bottom. It sometimes seems I retract, but I do my best to do the opposite. Any advice?

post-8384-0-62118800-1419463436_thumb.pn

 

4. (This one is for Keegan) How's my technique? Lol.. I'm curious if I should go for another cycle for HBP/PE1..

 

 

 

 

I think video #3 was my best attempt so far:

 

Thanks a lot fellows!! :) 

 

 

Keilani Gutierrez

1. maybe it's just me but all I can really say is find the best position for you not to let the body sag. I have little to say on mastery form, since I'm currently working on these, but no one expects us to have this absolutely down from the get-go, only that we tighten up the ship as we mature in our practice and not call "mastery" before due time. I know I did quiiiiiiite a few revisions to iM1 from H1, RC PE 1 or even the Arch Body hold. :P  also, you most likely feel awkward because you're treating it awkwardly. just begin from the same position you'd do a plank. my thoughts are that you're overextending the body a bit. start first with your shoulders over your hands. from there, just PPT and wherever your feet are on the floor will depend on the flexibility in your quads and the bend in your knees. clearly not the focus of pushups but not letting the body sag IS part of the package. just don't sag or put yourself in an awkward overextended position. :) that's my 2c.

2. just find the position you'd do a plank in. lower to the ground and push up. no pun intended. :P 

 

3. I don't really think about protracting/retracting(at the bottom) anymore as much as I think about depressing my scapula to keep this awkward pain that sometimes comes to the front of my shoulder every once in a while. especially when i get to 4x9 - 5x9. 

 

 

also, why the long pauses? checking your form in the cam/mirror before reps? 

HB_Ron

You're correct. I did the long pauses at the top because I wanted to check my form and at the bottom because I was overthinking too much. 

 

1+2 ) It looks awkward for 2 reasons. A: I really treat it awkwardly. :P B: In the front view of the demonstration video, the athlete butt is almost at shoulders height and mine isn't(Proven in the first picture above)

 

What do you mean when you say I overextend my body and how do you define "sag"? Was my body sagging?

Why should the shoulder be over hands?(So that it can create a 90 degree angle between the wrist and the forearm? If so, I think I have a 90 degree angle)

 

And last question for now, what should I strive to squeeze harder- glutes or quads?(I think quads , but I don't remember why)

Keilani Gutierrez
HB_Ron said:

You're correct. I did the long pauses at the top because I wanted to check my form and at the bottom because I was overthinking too much. 

 

1+2 ) It looks awkward for 2 reasons. A: I really treat it awkwardly. :P B: In the front view of the demonstration video, the athlete butt is almost at shoulders height and mine isn't(Proven in the first picture above)

 

What do you mean when you say I overextend my body and how do you define "sag"? Was my body sagging?

Why should the shoulder be over hands?(So that it can create a 90 degree angle between the wrist and the forearm? If so, I think I have a 90 degree angle)

 

And last question for now, what should I strive to squeeze harder- glutes or quads?(I think quads , but I don't remember why)

an ailment i have just before starting SL PE 1 on some of those 36sec hold days. too much mind! throw mind out doah! xD

i don't really mind the athletes proportions as I am starting from being as flexible as a hardcover book. :P so wherever my flexibility is that day, i'll have better form on some days rather than others. so, where your butt is will depend like i said on quad flexibility, because part of a pushup is a hollow body. how much of a hollow body you can manage without piking at the hips is nice, but not necesary NOW, it will be necesary when we're at HBP so we don't brush the ground with our toes so thinking about a good line with tension is a goal of a pushup, just not so strictly at first. not so strictly doesn't imply allowing oneself to sag, which is essentially arching the body while in the pushup, the opposite of piking at the hips. both are a way of escaping the press up with a tight line.

all i can really say about your form is that since you feel wierd, it's most definitely because of some sort of awkwardness from the outside giving you feedback. like for me, if i don't put my wrists over my shoulders, i'm trying to load the arms as much as i can without going to the realm of loading it with leverage(PPP), if i have my wrists past my shoulders, it feels different as well(hollow pushups). 

 

idk man, just tense whatever you feel is holding you back from holding a consistent line without letting the body sag! that's it. details come after this fact, i think, if any. 

(shoulders over hands) ( lower the body to the floor with control and come back up) (don't let the body sag) (????) = profit! 

Adriano Augusto

Paralysis for analysis. Too much overthinking, seriously.

Just do a pushup at shoulder width, elbows not flaring out, and keep the body straight as a one piece. Do it with a controlled tempo and that is it, do the mastery and then move on.

And hey, I used to overthink too at the beginning, specially when the exercises seems so easy, I think everybody does, but with practice you keep in mind the essence of the exercise and nothing more.

Either way, you look ok, so dont worry too much. Practice!!

Cheers.