This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Why Linear Periodization versus Steady State Cycling

Started by bombadil, December 24, 2014 · 2 Replies · 243 Views

bombadil

Hi all.  

 

I am completely happy with the F1 program, but I happened to be looking back at my BtGB book and reread the programming section.  Coach states that the steady state model has been the simplest and most successful model for program design.  So, I'm just curious, why are the foundation courses set up around a 12 week, periodized cycle, versus multiple 8-12 week SS blocks? 

 

Also, when people get stuck at the third block, I'm wondering if a ss cycle would be a good solution to bust through some of the higher volume 3rd block ruts folks find themselves in often.

 

Just wondering...  

 

THanks!

Joshua Slocum

BtGB was published many years ago. Coach made a post a little while back explaining that he thinks SSC only really becomes necessary at an intermediate level - the Foundation exercises are basic enough that you can increase volume comparatively quickly. 

Keilani Gutierrez

agreed.

a lot simpler to make jumps in 1-3-6 rep/sec increments if the 12 rep/sec increments are too much to handle instead of investing 2-3 months on the same rep scheme on something relatively basic. i had the same confusion too, coach has a pretty high bar set for what he considers as "basic". makes you wonder what Adv. looks like. :mellow: