This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Coach Sommer's deadlift warmup with Heath (Podcast)

Started by DonGray, December 22, 2014 · 5 Replies · 360 Views

DonGray

Hi guys

Wasn't sure where to place this post but here goes..

Coach Sommer mentions in his podcast that with a student of his (Heath?) that he got him to do deadlifts as a warmup - 2 sets of x3 reps then go straight to workouts.  I know coach doesn't like us to try and emulate everything that he does with his higher level students, so i'm anticipating a b*tch slap ;)

 

I have implemented this with some nice results on my upper body days twice a week (didn't want the lower to be taxed too much on lower body days - had a knee issue), I did this for 8 weeks with 125kgs not changing a single thing (I currently weigh 93kgs), in fact it's probably now 12 weeks.  It started very challenging...but now fine.

 

Problem is if I go up now (coach raised the weight with Heath significantly after his 1st 8-12 week period) even an extra 20kgs - I find this impossible due to my grip strength, i'll do one rep or maybe a few, but in the 2nd set I'll barely be able to manage 1rep due to my grip giving up...Any tips on what I should do? Just add less weight? eg 10kgs?  Just suck it up and carry on for the duration trying to improve?  

 

Has anyone else implemented this successfully? 

 

Much love

 

 

Jeremy Huston

Mixed grip helps tons with holding on to deadlifts -- one hand supinated, one hand pronated.  Do as many as you can with double-overhand grip to strengthen your grip, and then switch to mixed once you can't hold on any more.

 

I think adding 10kg would be quite a bit -- 20kg would be a big jump.  My memory of coach talking about this had an athlete pulling 135 lbs and then adding a bunch of weight.  135 lbs is only 60 kg, and adding weight is a different beast at 125 kg.

Coach Sommer

There are no hard and fast increments to progress by. If 20kgs is too much, drop the load until you find the correct increment of increase. It is also possible that you are maxed out.

My primary recommendation however would be to increase your days per week from two to four and to decrease the load if necessary. Remember this is a warmup element; not a strength element. If the body can't handle the load in the daily warmup, the load is too high.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

DonGray

Thanks coach!

I calculated the percentage that you increased him by, but that meant me going up from 120kgs to 185kgs and when I attempted that my eyes' almost popped out DOH!! ☺

Great, I'll add just 10kgs, go to x4 a week and ensure it's just a warm up.

lnick1975

I've been doing this for the past couple of months.

I use my bodyweight in weight. Which is 145lbs for me. Which is easy.  

The day after my workouts i do notice that i'm more sore than before.

So I've only been doing it a couple times a week.  I've also been trying to focus on my form rather than

thinking about adding weight.  and am definitely in no rush to add weight.

 

Coach also stated that it was done along with shoulder mobility.  So, i have been doing deadlift, arm circles, weighted dislocates and wall extensions before doing the next set.  Not sure what other exercises i should include as of now but that's where i'm at. 

 

Definitely feels good doing it !

Jon Douglas

There's a thread on this in the F3 forum too :)

Elsewise, remember the perennial warning; don't be a warmup hero! :)