This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

anterior shoulder slap tear lesion labrum repair and GST

Started by Matty P, December 22, 2014 · 3 Replies · 171 Views

Matty P

Hi folks,

 

  I had right shoulder surgery 15 months ago.  The repair was to a slap tear lesion at the anterior of my right shoulder. 

I have had a good recovery.  I have been working on Foundation 1, 3 days a week for 3-4 months.  I have just moved onto PE3 for the Hollow Back Press.  The strength element is Psuedo Planch Push Up.  This feels quite challenging for my shoulder even at low sets n reps (3x2).  Is it just a matter of my shoulder and body getting used to the exercise or should I lay off Planche style work?  The last thing I would want is to re injure my shoulder.

 

Here's to a fun, fit and healthy 2015.

 

Matty Perrett.

Victoria, Australia.

Chris Garay

Hi Matty,

 

Great to hear that your shoulder has been recovering well from surgery. Daniel Burnham (on this forum) is also about a year out from shoulder surgery, so he might be able to respond with personal experience as well.

 

How does your shoulder feel when doing Planche Leans (sPL/PE5)? Perhaps, in addition to gradually progressing the volume, you might need to gradually progress the amount of forward lean in your pushup. Best of luck, and keep us updated!

 

Best,

Chris

Matty P

Hey Chris,

 

  thanks for your reply and ideas.  I've not tried Planche Leans yet.  My body and shoulder seems to have started to adapt to this psuedo planche movement.  So on wards n upwards....

 

Matty.

dgaetano

I had shoulder surgery three years ago for two issues: a labral tear and some tendon splicing of the pec major to get at a bone spur. I remember the surgeon very clearly telling me the following:

 

After six months I would be healed enough to do anything strenuous I was doing before. This included weight training, gymnastics, etc. If I re-injured myself before this they probably would never be able to fix it. Also any mobility issues I might have if I skipped rehab would start to be permanent (as one can imagine I did not skip rehab!).

 

After a year all the bio degradable items (stitching, some anchors for the stitching) would be gone and I'd be 100% done. The injured areas (tendon and labrum) would likely now be stronger than the surrounding areas.

 

The real long term issue was some muscle atrophy during the healing process. Now in a few random positions it's the weak shoulder instead of the strong one, but everyone should be aware of their weak areas when training to avoid injury anyway.

 

Glad you had a good recovery. I did too, but when I had the sling people would stop me all the time and mention that after shoulder surgery of one type or another that they skipped out on rehab and never fully recovered their range of motion. I was shocked at how common this was.