This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Turkish Getups

Started by Eric Bruenner, December 21, 2014 · 3 Replies · 278 Views

Eric Bruenner

First of all, a big thanks to Coach Sommers for assembling this amazing program.  The challenges, variety, pacing and progressions are unlike anything I've ever encountered.  This is a true life changer.

 

Incoming wall of text, a 'too long, didn't read' summation below.  Full context thereafter if there are questions.

 

TL;DR

 

I've started doing Dumbbell Turkish Getups on a 5-rep mastery schedule b/c I really like them:

 

1) Is this okay?

2) How much should I increase the weight of the dumbbell once I achieve mastery?

3) Should I be working with a different mastery/rep scheme?

 

---

 

Some context:

 

I've heard Coach Sommers mention on various podcasts (most notably with Robb Wolf) that:

 

1) There may be some benefits to training the Olympic Lifts alongside gymnastic movements (I think this was mentioned specifically in regards to vertical leap and general power output)

2) If one really enjoys another form of strength training, say the power lifting movements, there is no real reason to drop them entirely while doing the GB protocol as long as they don't compromise/interfere with the GB training

 

With that said, I've retained the big 3 powerlifting movements (deadlifts, squats, bench press)--making sure to do them AFTER the GB training and also trying to make sure I sync them up with my GB cycles (i.e. I deload on those movements as well on weeks 4, 8 and 12.)

 

My Question:

 

I've substituted in the Turkish Getup (with a dumbbell) for the bench press.  I really love this exercise and it seems to be a nice complement to the other GB movements (requires a lot of balance, coordination, concentration, really seems to work the tendons and has helped with my shoulder health/clicking ALOT).

 

I would like to start doing TGUs on the 5-rep mastery progression schedule.

 

1) Any reasons not to do the TGU?  I'm really committed to my GB training and will drop it if there is a contra-indication.  Seems like the name of the game here is humility, hard work and patience!

 

2) What sort of weight increases would be recommended once I hit the 5 rep (per side) mastery level?  For context, I can do TGUx5/side with an 85# dumbbell.  I remember Coach Sommers talking about (believe it was in a Robb Wolf interview) having an athlete stay with a certain weight on the jefferson curl for MONTHS and then increasing the weight what *seemed* like a crazy amount (the athlete of course had no problem with it) and then sticking with this new weight for a while.

 

3)  Should I choose a different mastery rep scheme?  I.e. 10 rep mastery, etc?  5 seemed reasonable as a TGU is a pretty work-dense movement.  Was considering even doing mastery at a lower rep level (2 reps/side) etc.

 

 

Cole Dano

IMO it would be best to treat the TGU in the same way the program uses the Stiff Leg Windmill, as a mobility element. 

 

Add it as warm up, extra mobility work as you choose and gradually add weight, but add so much that it fatigues you for the main work sets detailed in the course programming. Neither should you let it replace any of the mobility already in the programming.

Eric Bruenner

Thank you Cole!  Will try this.

 

Idk if you are allowed to divulge, but how does Coach Sommer calculate how much weight TO add to weighted exercises like, say, Jefferson curls?

 

I remember him talking how an athlete made a huge jump in weight after training with the same weight for some time.  I am curious about this methodology.

 

Thanks!

trw

I think that's what he calls the Steady State Cycle. Choose a weight (or position) that is difficult but not so difficult you can hardly work it. At first it's a challenge, but the cycle should progress as overload, load, underload by the very nature of your body's adaptation to the weight (or position). By the end of the cycle it'll be easy. And by that time not only have your larger muscles adapted but your tendons as well, and so your body can handle a larger jump in weight. I think a cycle might be 12 weeks, but don't quote me on that.

 

Anyway, if it's a mobility exercise then don't treat treat it like a strength endeavour, as in don't don't use a super heavy weight and don't push yourself to the point of failure, because you will injure yourself if you do. As for calculating how much weight, well, it's not really a one-size-fits-all scenario. So play around with it and act with patience and wisdom. If in doubt, err in the lighter direction. In the case of the Jefferson Curl, Coach recommends full bodyweight as the end goal, but that's long-term planning, not something to shoot for in a month.