Training Advice Needed - Hip Impingement and Labrum Problem

Started by water4health, December 20, 2014 · 2 Replies · 1,829 Views

water4health

I play soccer.  And have had hip problems.  A few months ago I had surgery for FAI (impingement) and a ripped labrum, in my right hip.  The Doctor said I'm cleared to return to full training and soccer (three months post surgery).

 

What exercises should I incorporate into my training to make sure my body is strong and moving well so my hips stay healthy in the future?

 

thanks!

katlinchen

I have not had FAI myself, but read a lot about it.

I need to say I am pretty impressed that you are back just after 3 months, congrats on that!

I am not a doctor or professional, but I would make sure to really warm up the hips. There are various exercises you can do, just look them up online. (If you follow gymnasticsbodies on instagram, they recently posted a good short clip of a nice hip mobility exercise!)

Just my guess, but I would maybe take it easy a little bit with extreme stretching or "active" flexibility, but I have no idea how steady and permanent the labrum already is or if it takes time to heal.

Maybe you can ask a doctor or physiotherapist and I bet there are also good articles on the Internet.

Good Luck :)

Andreas Collberg

Hi Water4Health, how is your right hip feeling now after surgery? Any differences in range of motion/mobility between now after surgery then before?

I have some problems with my right hip myself, my physiotherapist suspect laberal tear and I have been given a couple of exercises to strengthen up the glutes and other muscles surrounding the hip in order to take away some pressure from the hip. I'm also trying to strengthen the adductor muscles.