Blairbob ? you there??? another circle question

Started by kevp951, July 14, 2009 · 2 Replies · 1,455 Views

kevp951

Hello Blairbob,

It's me, the 44 year old :) again! I have changed my mushroom circle feint to starting at 6:00 and swinging my left leg back towards 9 o'clock for the feint (counterclockwise cirlces) like you said and it's a definite improvement in momentum. Now when I go around I am trying to keep a long neck with shoulders pushed down, cheeks squeezed together and toes together and pointed away from body to extend it. My new question is: Do I have to keep my ENTIRE palms flat on the mushroom in the side positions??? It seems like it might be a little easier if the base of my hand close to my wrist is lifted slightly, with thumb and all fingers and top of hand (by fingers ) pressing down, contacting the mushroom. My arms are kinda short and I think it helps me to extend and generate momentum. Any of your students ever had this kind of issue???? If so, what do you tell them???

thanks, Kevin

Blairbob

Honestly, I dunno.

I do know that Coach Sommer has said the shoulders should be shrugged down while swinging through the circle but upon each hand placement you need to push down on the surface.

Coach Sommer

Elevation (height) of the circle is dependent upon two factors; speed of the swing and the degree of sideways lean.

Also I do not recommend pushing down during basic circle work. As soon as you "push down" you will activate the shoulders, round the back and sink the chest; all of which contribute to loosing the shrug necessary to generate a smooth swing. It can be confusing, but physically you will need to separate the sensation of extending the body from pressing down with the hands. There are specific skills where at specific moments you will push down, but as a beginner these need not concern you yet.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer