This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand line form check

Started by athleticandrey, December 19, 2014 · 8 Replies · 217 Views

athleticandrey

Could you guys please review or critique my form? I'm still at the beginning of H1 but I've been working on developing a freestanding handstand for quite a while even before purchasing the course and as a result I can hold a 45+ sec stable freestanding Handstand. Thank you in advance. Here are the views from slightly different angles:

post-11044-0-52534900-1419000485_thumb.j

post-11044-0-14570900-1419000492_thumb.j

post-11044-0-58088400-1419000507_thumb.j

Jeremy Huston

Your form is much better than mine for sure.  Your shoulders could open a little bit more, less arch in the lower back, and head between your arms.

 

By the way -- don't be discouraged if your hold times start to decrease as you work through H1.  As you open your shoulders more, etc., your body will have to relearn the new alignment.  It's not a sign that the training isn't working but a necessary adaptation to get better.

Joshua Slocum
tex0413 said:

Your form is much better than mine for sure.  Your shoulders could open a little bit more, less arch in the lower back, and head between your arms.

 

By the way -- don't be discouraged if your hold times start to decrease as you work through H1.  As you open your shoulders more, etc., your body will have to relearn the new alignment.  It's not a sign that the training isn't working but a necessary adaptation to get better.

Pretty much this. You're very much on the right track, but still need to do a bit more work to open up the shoulders. 

Nash

I don't know, -1 points for arch in back, but +1000,000 points for doing it in freezing ass weather!

 

By the way, beach pictures have a better line than the snow one as far as the arch is concerned.

Micawberian

The biggest thing I see is rib flare. Might be lack of awareness or lack of mobility, but I would go ahead and say work with stretching your lats and chest alongside the h1 material.

 

Your handstand reminds me of yuval oz, by the way...take that for what its worth :)

athleticandrey
Nash said:

I don't know, -1 points for arch in back, but +1000,000 points for doing it in freezing ass weather!

 

By the way, beach pictures have a better line than the snow one as far as the arch is concerned.

I did handstand on the snow when I first realized that both my form and balance had improved significantly. I was so excited that I didn't even think of the weather outside, just wanted to take a nice photo of my handstand:)

athleticandrey

Thank you for the critique guys. Btw what is my biggest issue ? the arch in the lower back or insufficient shoulder flexion? Am I performing posterior pelvic tilt correctly? Or to be more precise is there any posterior pelvic tilt at all?:) I see that there's a pronounced arch in my lower back.

athleticandrey
Micawberian said:

The biggest thing I see is rib flare. Might be lack of awareness or lack of mobility, but I would go ahead and say work with stretching your lats and chest alongside the h1 material.

 

Your handstand reminds me of yuval oz, by the way...take that for what its worth :)

What do you mean by rib flare?

I tried to find photos of yuval oz's handstand but had no luck all I could find were photos of his one arm handstand:)

Micawberian

rib flare is the opposite of keeping your ribs in, which is basically to say your thoracic spine is flexed. You could imagine someone punching you in the ribs, and the action you make to draw away from the punch is ribs in. This is a necessary position to learn, as even PE1 IM requires keeping the ribs in.