This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Injuries and Warnings

Started by Jason Dupree, December 19, 2014 · 8 Replies · 3,309 Views

Jason Dupree

This is a question for anyone who has suffered a muscle/tendon tear or similar injury.

 

In all videos I see of this happening, it looks like they have everything under control and suddenly it snaps. My question is, was there any feeling beforehand warning them of eminent danger? Were they pushing through immense strain, mild discomfort, or did it really take them by surprise? If we feel completely comfortable with a movement, with no discomfort during or after, is there still a chance of injury?

RJS

Unfortunately yes. An injury, in my experience, can happen anytime, regardless of strict training protocol for prevention.

jules

Unless its a freak accident, due to equipment failure or fall etc, most injuries dont 'just happen'.  Either they were an injury waiting to happen because, people were training in a fatigued state, training beyond their current capacity (over training), muscular imbalances, improper technique or not adequately physically prepared for the training (joint preparation etc).

 

If someone tells you "I dont know man, I was just training and my *Insert body part* snapped",  One of the above things was the cause.

Jay Horley
jules said:

Unless its a freak accident, due to equipment failure or fall etc, most injuries dont 'just happen'.  Either they were an injury waiting to happen because, people were training in a fatigued state, training beyond their current capacity (over training), muscular imbalances, improper technique or not adequately physically prepared for the training (joint preparation etc).

 

If someone tells you "I dont know man, I was just training and my *Insert body part* snapped",  One of the above things was the cause.

Completely agree. Training in a fatigued state is the biggest crime in my opinion.

Joshua Slocum

https://www.facebook.com/johnny.sapinoso/posts/10204401046320050

 

 

I was working for a little over a month toward the pelican with a volume that might make Ivan Abadjiev smile. At the same time I was also researching some advanced one arm elements - I wouldn’t categorize them as dangerous and over my head but as standard operation and carrying some inherent risk

Looks like overtraining and overreaching to me. 

jules

I've seen those 'changes' he was doing on the rings many times. Its a circus skill. He was muscling through with little thought of technique. Poor technique which lead to overloading the muscles to a degree in which they couldn't handle it.

 

In these very technical exercises, you must stop at the point of fatigue and failing technique ( unless have a spotter etc).  You can grind reps to a degree with exercises like push ups. But they have no place with rings/straps work. 

jules
Joshua Slocum said:

It such a shame Jonny never learned from his earlier mistake. If I remember correctly, when I met him a few years ago at GB seminar in AUS, he was telling us about tearing his bicep tendon from premature cross training.  

 

The video is kinda cool to show his determination and philosophy on injury recovery. But I just hope people don't think tearing your pec or bicep is a badge of honor, but instead see it as what happens what you overreach beyond your current capacity.

Joakim Anderson

It's funny how so many people get teary eyes from his progressive recovery in the comments of that clip but no one points out the stupidity of riding your body like that in the first place. Or maybe they do but get deleted. :)

Ravn
Joakim Anderson said:

It's funny how so many people get teary eyes from his progressive recovery in the comments of that clip but no one points out the stupidity of riding your body like that in the first place. Or maybe they do but get deleted. :)

Shhh, you're not being a good disciple! ;-)