This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Various questions

Started by Alexander Egebak, December 17, 2014 · 5 Replies · 342 Views

Alexander Egebak

Hi all.

 

I have recently been operated for ingrown nails on both feet, and while I am lying in bed all the time I could not help myself but to read up on as much content on this website as possible, and that arose some questions for me.

 

1:

In a week or so I might be able to walk around without stressing my toes too much. I consider continuing my strength training, but that would only evolve around ABH and FL PE 2 since those are the only safe progressions for me right now.

If I make a workout plan only consisting of those 2 exercises - what would be best volume wise? I realize that volume could be turned up but how much? Earlier I did F7 3 times a week, have not bought H1.

 

2:

Mobility elements should always be mastered before moving on with the strength elements. But could one possibly do mobility elements further into the course if the current mobility element is too easy? That might be beneficial later on if mobility would become an obstacle.

 

3:

There has recently been many discussions on the little rest period in order to build work capacity. Does a good work capacity provide positive feedback to cardiovascular activities such as running, why is the answer yes, and what are the particular gains?

Jon Douglas

1) I'd expect three times a week would be no problem. If you find they're really not taxing I would rather try say MF PE1, W PE2 than training them every day. YMMV.

2) Yes, but use care and keep the pairs together in your actual work sets because many are paired for specific reasons (see in particular SLS and sPL). If you know younhave a particular mobility weakness then putting an IM set before or after your workout can be useful, but make sure you always try to address problems at the lowest level first. If a table hold fixes your shoulder pain, don't be jumping into limbers to try to fix it 'harder' until you are prepped for it :)

3) Big question. I find yes but I will leave the discussion to more.anatomically minded people. I will say that whilst It will certainly help, str training alone will not benas beneficial to cardio exercises as correctly combining dtr + cardio

Jeremy Huston

3) The heart and lungs don't care where they're pumping oxygenated blood.  Any exercise that gets your heart rate up will help strengthen your heart and lungs, and its effects will carry over to other activities.  5x60s of Arch Body Rocks with short active rests between sets is basically an interval workout -- (for me) about the same as running 200m intervals.  As you get into the shorter work sets 5x5r is more like a 100m sprint.  By the 5th set with little rest, the heart is really pumping.

 

Of course, doing pushups all day won't do much to strengthen or help build blood capacity in your legs.  My personal experience after doing foundation -- I really feel running in my legs before I'm gasping for breath -- but i feel swimming in my breath before my arms now.

Alexander Egebak
Jon Douglas said:

1) I'd expect three times a week would be no problem. If you find they're really not taxing I would rather try say MF PE1, W PE2 than training them every day. YMMV.

2) Yes, but use care and keep the pairs together in your actual work sets because many are paired for specific reasons (see in particular SLS and sPL). If you know younhave a particular mobility weakness then putting an IM set before or after your workout can be useful, but make sure you always try to address problems at the lowest level first. If a table hold fixes your shoulder pain, don't be jumping into limbers to try to fix it 'harder' until you are prepped for it :)

3) Big question. I find yes but I will leave the discussion to more.anatomically minded people. I will say that whilst It will certainly help, str training alone will not benas beneficial to cardio exercises as correctly combining dtr + cardio

I need some clarification on the first one.

 

I was originally doing F7 three times a week, not doing handstands. Wouldn't focusing on ABH and bHBH allow for a schedule 4 times a week or would that be too much?

Jon Douglas

Run whatever programming you like. I gave you my answer already-- three day/week alternating slpe1+flpe2 with slpe2+flpe3-- but you can do what you want.

Alexander Egebak
Jon Douglas said:

Run whatever programming you like. I gave you my answer already-- three day/week alternating slpe1+flpe2 with slpe2+flpe3-- but you can do what you want.

I did not disregard your advice. Sorry if you took it that way. I just needed some clarification - and now I need even more. What is the reasoning behind implementing harder variations?

 

Anyway, I will give it a try on next monday. Thank you