My bridge...

Started by Michael Ho, December 16, 2014 · 13 Replies · 3,381 Views

Michael Ho

Hey guys,

 

Been working on my bridge in-between sets and I've been wondering I am actually doing it right?

 

My back looks weird like its all bending at the lower back, and if my feet were on the ground I can't imagine what it would look like.. like a big triangle o.O...

 

 

http://vimeo.com/114609838

 

Michael

jules

Yup you're right, all from the lower back.

The bridge is primarily a thoracic spine and shoulder mobility exercise.   Try to spend your time focusing on improving thoracic extension.

Michael Ho

Do you have any tips or cues on how I can feel it or get into the correct position? 

chuchodani
Michael Ho said:

Do you have any tips or cues on how I can feel it or get into the correct position? 

Well, when I was getting the arch mostly from my lower back, it hurts me in that area, but when I start to do it right, my lower back pain goes away.

George Launchbury

Hi Michael,

 

Makes sense that most people need to improve mobility both up and downstream of the lumbar spine, so that the bending is not all done there. Tight quads/hip flexors will increase anterior pelvic tilt, and therefore more lumbar arch. Same as with stiff thoracic/shoulders. When I do thoracic extension work I feel a fabulous stretch in my ribs. If you think about it, if the ribs aren't free to open out, the T-spine will be held in place by them.

 

-= G =-

Michael Ho

Chuchodani, yes, I feel it in the lower back... I thought this was normal, guess I was wrong!

 

 

George, you'll have to show me at Yuvals! 

 

I do feel a stretch in my abdominals when I do the bridge on the floor. I'll post another video tonight on the floor and see if I'm bending at the thoracic properly...

Michael Ho

Heres my floor version. I know its terrible but I definitely felt it in the thoracic this time... However.. still not sure if I'm doing it right :l

 

http://vimeo.com/114718358
 

Jon Douglas

post-2239-0-67912500-1418776073_thumb.jp

 

This is somewhat better in terms of technique than your first one, but your shoulder flexion and upper back need attention! In your video it looks to me like you are doing it right but you hit a flexibility barrier preventing correct execution fairly early in your press up.

1) Those shoulders need to press back, ideally *past* the hands.

2) Do your best to engage your PPT to minimise the lower back arch. This in turn will put more of the focus on the shoulders/upper back; be prepared for a harder stretch.

3) Elevating your feet is probably the easiest way to address this in the bridge position itself, but more weighted flexion work would also go a long way.

 

Keep us updated :)

 

Edit;

Actually on reflection your limiting factor looks pretty much all in your thoracic spine to me. Hammer that; push your chest out hard when you bridge.

Michael Ho

Thanks John, I will definitely do it. I've never engaging PPT so I will give it ago!!

 

What weighted flexion work would this be? I can think of jefferson curls but they hit my hammies?

Keilani Gutierrez
Michael Ho said:

Thanks John, I will definitely do it. I've never engaging PPT so I will give it ago!!

 

What weighted flexion work would this be? I can think of jefferson curls but they hit my hammies?

the type of weighted mobility in H1 :) iM's 1 through 8 - PE5 kind of replaced having to do iM1 & 3, same concept applies though. 

katlinchen

Your shoulders don't press back at all. This is actually a mistake I see very often. Maybe start by stretching your shouldders on floor, against a wall, with a partner first and after some time try doing a bridge.

Sailor Venus
katlinchen said:

Your shoulders don't press back at all. This is actually a mistake I see very often. Maybe start by stretching your shouldders on floor, against a wall, with a partner first and after some time try doing a bridge.

And this is why I'm doing bridges wrong for the past four years. Stretch the shoulders against the wall! And thats what I started doing. I start off with hands distance of 2 x shoulder width then as it gets easier, make the hands closer to each other gradually. Definitely feels better than doing the bridge itself.

Sascha Faltinger

elevate your feet on a bench while pushing with hands on the floor. this helps me to get a nice stretch in shoulders and abs without stressing my lower back.

Blairbob

 I prefer your first video. Try pushing and extending your legs to straight. Start bent and push till they are straight to help push shoulders more open.

 

 If you did the second video in front of me, I would just have you elevate your feet.