This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

pushing strength question: can I skip push ups if I do dips?

Started by katlinchen, December 15, 2014 · 7 Replies · 497 Views

katlinchen

I have two questions concerning pushing strength.

1) Are push-ups necessary if you do dips?

I do dips (usually 2x15 plus some p-bar walking) three times a week.

And then usually a max set of normal push-ups.

Is this necessary or can I skip it?

2) And what about handstand push-ups? I see the benefits for a hollow back press, but are they necessary for girls too if you are not aiming for any pushing skills? Do they help with uneven bar work or handstand presses?

Thanks

bigB

Why don't you test for mastery?

Can you do five sets of 15 push-ups with the PE?

If you can't do five sets of 15 you probably can't do five sets of 10 of pseudo-planks push-ups.

Murray Truelove

As a rule you should test for mastery before moving on. Assume nothing, a lot of people here have found even the early elements very humbling.

Also the early IM's are great for shoulder mobility/stability.

Keegan

No, you cannot skip it unless you demonstrate Mastery of PE1, PE2, and PE3 (the push-up variations in F1) along with their corresponding iM's to Foundation standards (form matching that of course videos and no additional rest other than the iM).

Also, just because you can do a later progression doesn't always mean you can perform mastery of all the earlier progressions. That is why actually testing out of mastery is required.

thecolin

I'm assuming you mean if you've already mastered push-ups, do you need to keep doing them?

 

If I'm understanding you correctly, then I think the answer is yes. Keep horizontal pushing element in your warm up. Just like it's good to do some horizontal pulling, even if your training focus is more on pull ups.

 

A good choice would be just to do various wrist push ups before each workout. You can get some good wrist work and horizontal pushing done all at once without loosing too much time.

 

Your second question is probably better answered by somebody with more experience. But if I were to guess, I'd say that you should keep doing overhead pressing as well.

 

As a general rule,  the stuff you want to do the least, is probably the stuff you need to do regularly.  ;)

Murray Truelove

Oh, I think I misunderstood. The course recommends warm up sets so I'm planning on keeping 3x10r PPP through all the dip progressions as you can scale it as your strength increases.

Keegan

Yeah, not sure I understood your question either. So for clarification are you asking:

1) " I have been doing dips, parallel bar walking, and a max set of push-ups ( prior to purchasing Foundation); so does the fact that I can already do dips and a max set of push-ups mean that I can just skip the push-up progressions without actually testing for mastery?"

Or

2) "I have already demonstrated mastery of all of the push-up progressions in F1 and have moved on to dips; do I need to keep push-ups in my warm-up?"

katlinchen

Thanks for all your comments. I have actually already mastered F2 and H2 completely.

But as I am focussing on gymnastics skills now, I haven't purchased F3 yet. So I focus more on higher reps and doing other exercises that are more useful for me at the moment! But one day I will definitely buy F3.

This is what my actually workout schedule looks like if anyone is interested.

Presses (done everyday):

10 straddle presses on beam facing it lengthways (hands very close together - this is hard!)
10 straddle presses on beam facing it sideways with ankle weights
10 straddle presses on beam facing it sideways
10 V-Sits for as long as I can
5X10 leg lifts sitting in straddle and pike with ankle weights 
5x5 butt lifts in straddle with ankle weights

Conditioning (3 times a week):

Arms:
10 Chin-Up Pullovers
10 Chin Levers
3x 16ft rope climb (in V, in pike, in straddle)
2x15 dips plus some p-bar walking 
100 shoulder tappers per side
max handstand hold against the wall without loosing form (usually around 5 minutes after all that exercises - I never know how to come down after that because my arms are like dead  :lol: )

Abs:
2x10 kip extensions
2x10 90 degree leg lifts
2x20 full leg lifts
2x15 stalder leg lifts 
3x30 sec long plank, 15cm away from ground on insteps of the feet, not toes

Legs:
3x5 single leg squats
3x15 squat jump with ankle weights

We always do push-up variations and also hollow-rocks and sit-up things as warm-ups when I train with my team, but it is not very intense. So I was asking if I still need to do those exercises regularly 3 times a week as a part of my conditioning program or if I can skip it.

Thanks and sorry for the confusion!