Hello. I'm wondering how to train for a V-sit, becasue it's my main goal(purpose) and I would like to do. (I've been training since October).

Thanks in advance!
Regards!
Started by Unbroken, December 15, 2014 · 10 Replies · 8,754 Views
Hello. I'm wondering how to train for a V-sit, becasue it's my main goal(purpose) and I would like to do. (I've been training since October).

Thanks in advance!
Regards!
You have to develop a lot more pike compression: the ability to bring your legs in towards your chest.
Part of this is achieving a perfect pike; the other part is training your abs and hip flexors to be strong enough in that ROM to pull your legs all the way to your chest.
how do I know if my triceps is to weak or my compression is too bad in a V-Sit?
If your nose isn't touching your shins, you could use more compression.
Joshua Slocum said:If your nose isn't touching your shins, you could use more compression.
Thanks! Yes I know...but I can lift myself up and push my hips foward if I straddle wide, so my triceps is strong enough to lift me up. And if I am normally sitting on the floor I can lift my legs until they touch my nose. I just can't do it both at the same time! What is it then?
katlinchen said:Thanks! Yes I know...but I can lift myself up and push my hips foward if I straddle wide, so my triceps is strong enough to lift me up. And if I am normally sitting on the floor I can lift my legs until they touch my nose. I just can't do it both at the same time! What is it then?
I'd guess the issue is largely neurological: your body hasn't figured out how to do both at once.
The entry could also be part of it: are you trying to press to the V-sit from an L-sit, or from a middle split hold? The latter should be easier.
Unbroken said:
It is necessary to pre-workout V-sit able to Straddle L-sit? I ask because I can't straddle L-sit and I started training for V-sit, so it is wrong way?
Developing a straddle-L will help with your compression, but it's not the only way.
Which "entrance" is a correct for V-sit?
1)From L-sit lifts legs as high as You can do for V-sit
or
2)From tucked V-sit straighten legs with tucked positions
I'm wondering what's correct cause I don't know How I should work L-sit(and trying to lift my legs as high as I can) or V-sit tuck(and trying straighten my legs)
Neither one is "correct" - both are different approaches. Another option is to enter a middle-split hold and then pull your legs up and together.
I think the best or most desirable way is when you sit in almost a middle split, lift your feet and butt simultaneously off the ground in a straddle, then pull them together to a V-Sit or, ideally, manna.
Of course it is easier if you are already starting with your legs up, and then just lift yourself up, because you don't have to compress all the way up!
But there are many different ways into it and I wouldn't say that there are wrong ways, because on beam you just can't start in that middle split!
Another thing I wanted to edit to this topic: might it be correct that it also depends on the person what things he/she can achieve?
For example, there are two girls at open gym sometimes, who are professional horse vaulters (the people who do exercises on horses). They are both suuuuuper slim and quite big. You know, they are that kind of people that have those beautiful long lines like a ballerina. They kind of look like Nastia Liukin when she competed. Both of them can do a V-Sit you would be amazed of. It is not that they are close to manna, not at all, they don't really push their hips forward, but their shins are almost touching their noses. One of them can also straddle press to handstand AND pike through to handstand on floor sometimes.
BUT don't ask them to do dips, climb a rope or do a straddle planche - NO WAY!
I am kind of different - I am pretty short (about 5'3'') and used to be very slim but I always had broad shoulders, even as a child. Now that I train, my hips are still VERY narrow, but my shoulders - oh my god - they are so broad it is really crazy. All the coaches at the gym make fun of me that I need two seats for my shoulders but would fall in between the two with my small butt! I am 120lbs exactly, I gained about 16 pound just because of training and it seems it all went onto my arms
Somehow, some things like the tuck planche or a standing straddle press were easier for me and almost came naturally, but I had to wait a little for the compression things. I still can't get a nice V-Sit, I can push my hips forward a lot but my shins don't touch my nose and it just doesn't look really good. I think it looks best if you are very slim and have excellent compression, but I don't think it looks that good if you don't have excellent compression.
I can also do dips (maybe 15 all the way down before my form fails) and about 16-20ft rope climb in pike and straddle.
So, is it just a natural thing how you are shaped and what comes easier for you? Or is it a training thing? I mean I haven't done any exercises for a super active compression other than leg lifts on stall bars and sometimes some leg lifts sitting in straddle.
I would love to here your opinion on that, if you have experienced something similar and if this is really the case or just my conceit.