This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Warm up explain

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, December 14, 2014 · 7 Replies · 456 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi!

I think I did not understand how I have to set up my warm up schedule. I read that I have to choose among the schemes 21/15/9 or 21/15 or 15/9... But I didn't get what it means.

I have to say that for none of the 7 skills I'm working I passed over the PE5 exercise.

For example, if I reached the FL/PE4 how can I set up my warm up? Which exercise between FL/PE1 , FL/PE2 AND FL/PE3 should I choose? And how many seconds (if I choose hold) or reps (if I choose rock PE)?

Another question: is it better If I warm up choosing also one of the previous mobility exercises I mastered?

Thank you!!

Keegan

Using the templates you cited and assuming you are on PE4 your warm-up would go:

PE1x21 reps

PE1>iM

PE2x15 reps

PE2>iM

PE3x9 reps

PE3>iM

Then you could go straight into your PE4 work sets or take a short breather before starting your work sets. It's essentially like "pyramiding/ramping" in traditional weight training.

Aidonnou

Hi! I have another question, if I'm starting the course at the beginning (all the exercices at the first level), which should be the warm-up?

Kai Ewert

I don't think it makes sense to do earlier progressions of a given exercise as a warmup - it is unlikely to be productive.

 

For example, FL/PE1 to FL/PE6 are increasingly harder progressions leading up to FL/PE6. As long as you are working within these, you don't have to add the earlier version to your warmup (unless you feel it helps you). 

Once you move past FL/PE6, you will keep (at least) a set of (in this case 60 r) FL/PE6 in your warmup. 

 

For the other elements, here would be my suggestions based on your level (<= PE5) and my personal experience:

 

sPL: 

21-15-9 reps of PE1 with 7-5-3 r (ea. side) of PE1-iM between - warms up and cues protraction and gets hips loosened up

HBP:

Once you pass PE3, 14-10-6 r of PPP with 7-5-3 r (ea. side) of PE3-iM between - I often also do 21-15-9 Pushups with their iM because a) I love the Xiaopengs and b) building the endurance for those was hard for me and I want to keep it. I find this a lot of work so I tend to do it after, not before the main workout

RC: 

Similar to FL, don't worry about it now unless you feel you need a little warming up. Once you are past the rows, keep one of the last progressions in at 14-10-6 (PE4) or 7-5-3 (PE5) with a lat stretch (maybe alternate between a straight and twisting variation)

SL:

Once you make it past PE2, keep at least one set of 60 r in your warmup. You may want to also consider keeping in PE4 after you master that, but I don't have personal experience here.

MN: 

Once you master PE3, you will want to keep that or PE2 in your warmup or finisher. Again, I don't have that "problem" yet.

SLS: 

No need to worry about warming up with PEs until you master PE4 I would think (unless, again, you want to), but I enjoy three supersets of 10 ea. of the iMs for PE1, PE2, and PE3 as a finisher for prehab.

Kai Ewert

If you are starting out at PE1 in all exercises, just do some general warmup/mobility to start. Depending on where you are/what you have available, that could be some light running, some jumprope (2-5 min), easy jumping on a trampoline or trampoline track; then free circular movements through your joints (look for joint mobility on youtube if you need directions) and maybe some band work for shoulders, some squats (try them facing a wall, standing in close for extra fun). That should get you plenty ready.

TANSTAAFL
Kai Ewert said:

I don't think it makes sense to do earlier progressions of a given exercise as a warmup - it is unlikely to be productive.

 

I think that is exactly what Coach prescribes in the course outline.

 

Disclaimer: I have been wrong before.

Murray Truelove

I'm just going to paste from another post:

I've always used 150%, 100% and 75% as this lines up with 15r mastery template. For example say you're working on RC PE:6 you might choose to do:

PE:1 21r (150% of 15r mastery)

PE:3 10r (100% of 10r mastery)

PE:5 4r (80% of 5r mastery)

Another choice might be:

PE:5 8r (150% ish of 5r mastery)

PE:5 5r (100% of 5r mastery)

PE:5 4r (80% of 5r mastery)

Another choice might be:

PE:5 3x5r for simplicity

For the IM I've just used the paired one as written, they don't have a 12 week template after all.

And so on, don't over think it too much, warm up using previously mastered elements at a volume that doesn't negatively impact your primary workout.

Kai Ewert

From the thread that Murray mentions (https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/18890-21-15-9-etc-for-warmup/), here's a quote from the course material with emphasis courtesy of Rayne-William:

 

Warm up with TWO or THREE sets of higher reps, of exercises which you have already mastered. Choose from among the following rep schemes: 21/15/9, or 21/15, or 15/9. 

 

For example, If you choose to do the two set 15/9 rep scheme warm up and you were working Parallel Bar Dips (HBP/PE6) you might choose to warm up with HBP/PE1 for 15 reps before completing a set of Bench Dips (HBP/PE4) for 9 reps.

So that is much milder than my suggestion above, and sure to not tire you out for your warmup...