This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE1>iM questions

Started by geoguy, December 12, 2014 · 3 Replies · 108 Views

geoguy

I'm on week three of the HS/PE1>iM exercise.  My question lies in what to think about in regards to moving or pulling in the shoulder area, in order to carry out the movement.  Is it just imagining the shoulder blades pulling together in the middle of the back?

 

I started this GST after about 8 mos. of little gym work and mainly home exercises for a shoulder (supraspinatus) impingement I have.  It is 80-90% better, and I'm hopeful this GST will help further.  I'm 38 now, but as a teenager I could clasp my hands and take my arms back and over my head and on around under my feet, etc.  Cool back then. Not cool in hindsight!  The result is shoulder pain if I'm not careful, and just a general hyper-mobility of the shoulder.  With the shoulder pain things are much better, and over the years I've done strength training to keep the should more fixed in its place (although it never popped out).

 

While doing the mobility exercise last time with the narrower grip I noticed my shoulder wanting to sort of pop around to finish the movement (imagine armpits rotating outwards).  My question is whether that is the point of the exercise, or if it is not intended that I get hypermobile for this.  (Personally I try to avoid the hypermobility, out of fear that I will injure myself.)  Hopefully this movement is calling rather for a different type of stretching (pecs and anterior delts?) than what I'm thinking.

Joshua Slocum

The purpose of this exercise is to work shoulder flexion: you don't want to draw the scapula together, or let the arms rotate outwards. The goal is not so much stretching as it is to strengthen the trapezius muscles to increase your active range of motion. 

geoguy

Ok cool. So I should concentrate on "pulling" back my arms/shoulders with my traps?

Joshua Slocum

The shoulders should be pushed up and slightly forwards (think about shrugging and trying to pull your shoulder blades apart from each other). The arms should be pulled strongly backwards.