This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson Curl

Started by Francisco Rodriguez, December 11, 2014 · 6 Replies · 413 Views

Francisco Rodriguez

Hello,

 

I have been doing this exercise but I think that I am doing something wrong:

 

At the bottom of the movement should I maintain the knees completely straight?

 

As I try to relax the hamstrings, I feel the knee joint very unstable and I am worry about hyperextension, also, I feel the stretch just behind the knee (and I think that this is not good).

The other option for me is to straight the legs and maintain some stress (with hamstrings mostly) around the knee to stabilize it. But I don’t like doing force with a muscle that I want to stretch.

 

So now I am bending a bit my knees: I can relax the hamstring much better and I feel the stretch in the whole muscle. Is this right?

Also, I am not very flexible so bending the knees allows me to maintain a good form without arching to much the back.

 

 

PD.: I am doing the exercise without weight (only bodyweight)

 

Thanks!

Jeremy Huston

Yes -- knees completely straight.  Only descend as far as you can with straight legs.  JCs are partially a hamstring stretch and mostly a middle/upper back stretch, so you need to have some weight.

Joshua Slocum

Keep the knees straight. Feeling a stretch at the bottom is normal, and desirable! Strengthening your hamstrings towards the edge of their ROM is part of the purpose of this exercise. 

 

 

Your concern is well warranted. Overworking mobility can lead to injury. Proceed carefully, and increase ROM and weight slowly. 

Vytautas Pilkauskas

Hey,

 

What about JC after I did this iM exercise and it is no longer in use? I really like the way it stretches hamstrings and the whole back, it makes easier to do pike stretch and increase its' range of motion which I really admire. I didn't use JC ever since I moved on to another strength and mobility exercises and I feel that my pike stretch ROM decreased a little. Can I still use JC during stretching routine after my WOD and when should I increase weight?

 

Very appreciate

 

P.S. Can I apply the same to Xiaopeng Fwd/Bwd?

Alexander Egebak
Vytautas Pilkauskas said:

Hey,

 

What about JC after I did this iM exercise and it is no longer in use? I really like the way it stretches hamstrings and the whole back, it makes easier to do pike stretch and increase its' range of motion which I really admire. I didn't use JC ever since I moved on to another strength and mobility exercises and I feel that my pike stretch ROM decreased a little. Can I still use JC during stretching routine after my WOD and when should I increase weight?

 

Very appreciate

 

P.S. Can I apply the same to Xiaopeng Fwd/Bwd?

You should really use the search function. Plenty of topics on this one. For a start check out the wiki page about exercises to keep building up

Vytautas Pilkauskas
Alexander Egebak said:

You should really use the search function. Plenty of topics on this one. For a start check out the wiki page about exercises to keep building up

That's how I've got here :)

The worst thing with a search tool is that it only shows topics where your searching word/phrase is mentioned, not an extended discussion about this.

Anyway, I will do a better research on that.

Are you saying there's a GB wiki? If so, I am not aware of this :)

Krel
Vytautas Pilkauskas said:

What about JC after I did this iM exercise and it is no longer in use?

[...]

P.S. Can I apply the same to Xiaopeng Fwd/Bwd?

 

Post-mastery you are supposed to continue to build up Jefferson curls to 100% bodyweight and Xiaopeng forwards and backwards to 12kg :lol: