This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP PE7

Started by Joe Venuti, December 11, 2014 · 21 Replies · 793 Views

Joe Venuti

Hey all, I've been working the Single bar dip now for 3 month and while it was hard at first it's definately gotten easier. 5x5 isn't much of a big deal.

 

The one issue I still seem to have is piking. I'm not really putting much weight (if any) on the bar with my chest but I pike quite a bit, particularly at the bottom of the movement.

 

Any cures?

Jeremy Huston

It's hard to tell from the course video, but I see his feet swing forward a little at the bottom of the movement.  I think some pike is inevitable to balance on single bar dips or you'll literally fall off the bar as your hips and center of gravity come behind it.  Especially if you go to a deep depth.

Rayne-William

Some piking is unavoidable because you have to hold your body around a bar. Do your best to maintain a posterior pelvic tilt throughout the range of motion.

 

Just a thought.....while doing single bar dips if we were to lower our body down further than what is shown in the course video we end up developing strength for the transition of the bar muscle up. 

Jeremy Huston
Rayne-William said:

Just a thought.....while doing single bar dips if we were to lower our body down further than what is shown in the course video we end up developing strength for the transition of the bar muscle up. 

Are you thinking something like a single bar russian dip?

Rayne-William
tex0413 said:

Are you thinking something like a single bar russian dip?

Maybe.

 

False grip bar muscle up

M K Mossop

Regards to the feet piking forward... are mine piking forward too much in this video? I find it difficult not to do it for this exercise. Is my form ok in general?

 

Jeremy Huston

M K -- that's not a very good angle to tell.  Try reshooting the video from the side.

M K Mossop

Alright hopefully this is better:

 

Joe Venuti

Thank you all for the input.

I've been allowing the pike and it has indeed made things easier.

I am now however noticing a different issue.

 

I hit a certain depth in the dip and I can't help but 'shrug and push my head forward'

 

Any thoughts on how to workout around this?

 

Prometheus

You are definitely piking too much. I just tested mine to see if I was being to harsh. My angle was about 10-15 degrees. What your angle is at the beginning of the 2nd video is where my legs are at the end of my movement at the bottom. I would suggest going back to the beginning of the week 1-3 and doing the movement with much less piking to build it up.

Prometheus

Your shrugging and head movement is just because you need to strengthen your core as well as your dipping muscles if I had to make a guess. What level FL, MN, SL progressions are you on?

 

Mostly though, I am willing to bet your dipping muscles need more strengthening more than anything and then the piking, head and shrugging movements will disappear.

Joe Venuti

FL 4 just did 4 sets of 48 reps yesterday (barely)

MN 7 

SL 10 although I need to go back and retest now that it's been restructured.

 

It feels like it might be a scapular strength issues so I've dropped way back on the reps and focused on retracting and depressing the scaps. Unfortunately this has caused the depth in my dip to suffer.

 

The above video is not of me. I'll get on up here shortly

Joe Venuti

M K Mossop

Thank you for the advice :). And thanks for letting me use your thread Joe.

Prometheus

Joe. You are piking WAY too much. How is your progression in the sPL series? Do you do HS1? Does look more like a trap/scap issue to me now. Just keep inching down on them.  Good luck

M K Mossop

I notice his shoulders roll way forward... is that ok?

Joe Venuti

Thanks Zach. I definitely noticed if I bent my wrists to 90 degrees it help quite a bit. I think my main issue is in the shoulder stabilizers and that's why my shoulder ride up. I'm working on it but it's slow going. 

 

How can I determine the best width for my hands? I started wide at first and struggle so I brought them in close which worked better but clearly I need improving...

Keilani Gutierrez

how do you feel about dipping from the same width you do pushups from? thats a pretty comfortable grip

Joe Venuti

I can give it a try Keilani. 

I initially went shoulder width but found closer in was easier.

Keilani Gutierrez

idk. it doesn't feel the same to do it with elbows back than to the sides. what are the standards enforced on single bar dip, zach / coach? is elbows in advised?

Coach Sommer

Elbows primarily to the sides.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joe Venuti

well that's got to be part of my issue. I've been keeping my elbows back.

 

Thanks Coach!