This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

New Schedule with 4 days of BJJ...what to do?

Started by bombadil, December 11, 2014 · 4 Replies · 155 Views

bombadil

Hi All, 

 

I've put some solid time into progressing in F1 and H1.  Now, I've decided to take up a new hobby:  BJJ.  Right now, I'm on a schedule to roll 3 or 4 days per week.  Since I'm new and I such, it's very intense.  I haven't learned how to control my energy yet, so it's pretty grueling.  

 

With this in mind, how should I set up my GST?  I was thinking of doing a 2 x per week F1, all 7 movements, with H1 on my off days, which would leave 1 or 2 full days for rest/recovery.  

 

Anyone else had success using F1/H1 with BJJ?  If so, how have you structured your training and recovery?  I really want to keep progressing in GST.  

 

Thanks for any tips.  

Keegan

I train BJJ (as part of a larger Reality Martial Arts system) and do F and H workouts, but I had been training it for over a decade before the GB courses came out, so I had already built a good base of Martial Arts specific conditioning and my technical skills had progressed to the point where I don't generally over exert myself while rolling.

That said, I think your plan of switching to 2 days of F7 and 2 of H1 sounds like a good way for you to maintain what Foundation and HS specific strength and conditioning you have built this far while you allow your body to adapt to the new demands of BJJ.

But, I would suggest that if possible you should try to do your F and HS workouts in the morning of the same days you will train BJJ at night. There should be enough time that, given you eat plenty of healthy food (these would be good days to eat plenty of carbs) you should be recovered enough to roll in the evening. You will then have 3-4 days of complete rest rather than 2.

If it's not possible, then go with your original plan.

Also, try to focus on technique and learning while you are rolling, not "winning". That will not only teach you to be efficient with your energy which will allow your stamina to improve, but it will also take you further in BJJ in the long run.

Vincearoo

I followed the 2 day split (Monday and Thursday was F1a while Tuesday and Friday were F1b) when I was doing jits. It's less intense so I felt more fresh in the evening. As previously suggested, foundation in the morning and jits in the evening.

bombadil

Thanks, I like the idea of doing an AM session of F1/H1.  That'd be a nice way to start the day!   :P

Jon Douglas

Solid advice here that has also served me well :)