This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Handstand and Jefferson Curls

Started by Micawberian, December 11, 2014 · 8 Replies · 331 Views

Micawberian

I have seen this mentioned more than a few times now on the H1 forum. Well respected people on this forum have been recommending jefferson curls as a bodyline exercise to improve the PPT and the curve of the lower back.

This confuses me to an extremely high degree.

Will anyone care to explain why and how jefferson curls improve the handstand bodyline?

I have just been maintaining my jefferson curl at 5x45 lbs once a week, but this recent popularity in the past few weeks with this exercise has got me wondering what the heck is so special about them???

Jon Douglas

Maintain your PPT as long as possible on the way down, and regain it as soon as possible on the way up.

This loaded stretch plus the moving of each vertebra 'individually', so to speak (I'm aware this is not accurate but does provide the illustration :) ) has helped me improve my line quite a bit.

Murray Truelove

ATP can also be made worse by weak glutes, JC strengthens the whole posterior chain.

Jeremy Huston

You should be gradually adding weight to your JC's until you get to bodyweight.

Micawberian

Lol I enjoyed the string of coach sommer "likes" in this thread. Thanks for the input guys, looks like I'll be revisiting the curls! How have people been implementing this in their schedules? multiple sets in warm up? Cool down? In between work sets?

Jeremy Huston

I do them on my cardio/stretch day.  After running 2 miles (and catching my breath enough to not fall over) I do a single set of JCs.  I then move on to other weighted pike stretches.

thecolin
Micawberian said:

How have people been implementing this in their schedules? multiple sets in warm up? Cool down? In between work sets?

 

I do JCs in my warm up, and a 2 minute weighted pike hang at the end of my workout on leg/manna training days. Both at body weight.

Jeremy Huston

Colin -- how long did it take to work up to bodyweight?  How did you structure your progression?  Did you add a kilo/couple pounds every week or do jumps every month?

thecolin

I don't remember exactly, a year maybe?

 

I did slightly larger jumps when I was feeling very comfortable as opposed to constantly increasing the weight.