Any substitute for block/powder chalk?

Started by fitup, December 9, 2014 · 7 Replies · 6,929 Views

fitup
I go to a gym club a couple of times a week and am used to use magnesium carbonate block chalk (2 oz. per block). However, it gets more and more difficult to get block chalk. May I know where do you buy block chalk? Did anyone here have encountered the same problem? My club is not happy with powder chalk as it causes a mess easily. Are there any alternatives to recommend?
Jurre

Liquid chalk. Google it.

Joshua Slocum

To buy block chalk, look for gymnastics or climbing supply stores. This is one I like: http://www.gymsupply.com/search.aspx?find=chalk

 

Liquid chalk is an alternative if your club doesn't like solid chalk. You can actually make your own by just mixing solid chalk with rubbing alcohol. 

fitup

Thanks for both replies.

My club doesn't ban solid chalk but doesn't actually like powder chalk.

I had a look at gymsupply.com you recommended. Liquid chalk is an option, but I personally like block chalk more if both available. Which one do you prefer?

I found they also sells "chalk nuggets", but I haven't heard of it before. Has anyone tried it? Is it as good as block chalk?

Rayne-William

Since a block of chalk becomes powdered chalk as it is used. Get liquid chalk if your gym doesn't like powdered chalk.

BlueLion

+1 for liquid chalk. I swear by it.

jfreaksho

Climbing supply stores (and Amazon) also have non-marking chalk substitute.  It's a powder in a bag.  It works great and doesn't leave a mess.

Blairbob

 I use these little chalk half spheroids at my gym where I WL. Coach has chalk in a bag in his office

 Get one of those chalky hacky sack looking things or block or sphere to rub it on.