beginning pommel horse

Started by jawbkk, July 11, 2009 · 2 Replies · 1,694 Views

jawbkk

OK, as I love gymnastics so much, I would like also to have a go at the pommel horse. I guess that really means learning how to do correct circles. I have viewed a few articles and things on youtube regarding correct body position etc but I think that is some way off for me yet. What is the foundation strength I need before I even get close to a pommel horse or mushroom? I am sure there is a certain amount of fundemental conditioning I must need before I commence doing the dynamic stuff???

Regards

John

Nic Scheelings

Basic Gymnastics shapes are what you want to work first. Front support, Back support, Side support. I don't have any pictures of them but if ur training at a gym facility you will definitely do heaps of them. Then u start with the bucket to get the feel and after that it is just heaps of practice.

Blairbob

http://www.drillsandskills.com/skills/pig/

Besides basic support holds for 10s in the basic positions of front and back support and side supports on floor or mushroom, I work stride support on each leg ( support with legs in split ) as well as working the stride support with the rear leg@horizontal.

After they can do these basics, I work the swings generally for 5-10 repetitions for 2-3 sets per session.

We do support walks around the horse or hand lifts while in support besides lots of bucket circles and frisbee slides "ag walks".